Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing an Action???
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering what is involved in polishing a bolt action rilfe along the lines of a CZ or Ruger? Is it something the average person can learn and try at home or is it best left to a competant gunsmith?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of polishing a VZ-24 action--my second attempt at action polishing. For my first attempt I used the buffing method; fast but not necessarily pretty. For this action I'm now attempting to follow directions provided by a past contributor to these forums, Mr. Jack Belk and so far I'm very pleased with the results. Jack's a proponent of stoning the action instead of buffing and If you do a search in this forum going back 2 or 3 years you might find more info. Jack put together some instructions and posted quite a few pictures here: Belk's Albums Click on the FN Polish album.

If you're interested I can email you a copy of his instructions.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Toomany Tools,

Sorry I did not make myself clear...I was thinking about the internals so that the bolt closed nice and smoothly rather than the exterior....
If you can shed any light on that, it would be most welcome,

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Toomany Tools,

Sorry I did not make myself clear...I was thinking about the internals so that the bolt closed nice and smoothly rather than the exterior....

Regards,

Pete

This is a great question! For me at least. I would like to know the answer to this, also.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Pete/Longbob,

Internals are covered well in Jack's instructions and photos. Basically, he advocates using soft polishing stones epoxied to a length of wood or alluminum bar to polish the lug races. If you go to the photo site you will see a picture of the set up. If you want the full narative send me your email address and I'll forward the Word document.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
we use to manufacture fishing lures, we used a firm in liverpool to do the polishing, they put the lures in a vibra tumbler and the lures came out like a mirror.
the only possible way i could see this working for you is if covered the outside of the bolt with a rubber substance to save the blueing.
one thing is for sure they were bright and shiny and super smooth.

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Toomany Tools,

I would be very interested in reading that...could you email it to me at peter_h_evans@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken the liberty of incorporating the photos from J Belks FN Polishing album with the text description he sent out a number of years ago. It's a 3.92 Meg Word document. I can e-mail it to those who are interested.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser98,

I would like a copy of that article. Thanks.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser98,

As a tinkerer, I'd also appreciate a copy of your Word document. Please don't send it to my email address in my profile as I can't receive an attachment that large at my yahoo account. Please send it to bjdoerr at earthlink dot net.

Thanks,
Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
theres a firm called Cetem in either Coventry or Brum that sells what I call the lolly pop sticks for polishing and they also have the diamond paste for polishing, I believe they come in different colours for different finishes.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Griff,

Thanks for that...However, before I start any polishing that could have a detremental effect on tollerences ect, I am going to look long and hard at the info from Tooman Tools.

At the very least by reading this, I hope to be a little more knowledgable and it may be I feel its best left to someone who really knows what they are doing!

Regards

Pete

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I sent the file moments ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete Evans, See the thread on final polishing. Before the various pastes you might check out the el cheapo diamond needle files. Stay away from the cylindrical surfaces and start on the cocking piece slot in receiver rear tang. Materials used by plastic injection mould makers are usable and probably your best UK source.

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too would like a copy of that file, as I am working on a Mark X as I write this.

Hans

Posts: 78 | Location: Surprise, AZ, USA | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Mauser & Toomany,

I've sent you PM's with my address. Thank you for sending the files.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
File on the wires now.

posted Hide Post
Gents,

Just a quick thank you for the help and advise guys,

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Mauser & Toomany Tools,

I received the files. Great information! Thank you for sending them.

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Toomany Tools,

Regards,

Pete

I believe the Steyr Works used diamond dust to hone the Mannlicher-Schoenauer actions to achieve their legendary smoothness.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser98,

If you could send me a copy too I'd sure appreciate it.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote