New
Find
Notify
Tools

11-87
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, I have a remington 11-87 turkey gun and I was looking to get a rifled barrel for it. My question refers to a barrel with a cantilever. The receiver is already drilled and tapped for a base so is it possible to remove the cantilever from the barrel...easily?

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Personally, if this were my project I'd probably just mount the scope on the cantilever and leave it there. If you want it mounted on the receiver then my suggestion is to sell the barrel and get a regular rifled barrel. The cantilevers usually cost more so you might even come out money ahead, which is a rarity with guns, or at least as has been my experience.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The remington rifled barrel has a 'rib' that the cantilever attaches to with screws. It looks to me like this rib could also be used for a scout type mount. The cantilever would attach and detach easily. I mount my scope on the cantilever then switch from the rifled barrel to a standard barrel for small game, birds and clays. Why you would want to use the reciever mount instead of the cantilever baffles me. You will be reducing the flexibility of the gun. Also, if you use the cantilever, the gun stays in zero with the scope. I have not had to adjust my scope in near 25 years.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second buckeye's head scratching on not wanting to use the cantilever mount. With the 11-87 there is nothing to solidly secures the barrel to the receiver. That means it can move slightly in the reciever. If your scope is on the receiver and the barrel shifts someone, it is going to throw off your point of aim. If you plan to use a scope I would put in on the cantilever.

Posts: 60 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 25 December 2009Reply With Quote