New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible…
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To get a .30 Remington cartridge to feed in a Mauser 93 action without too much trouble? Just thinking for a moment and this will probably never come to fruition. I have a really bad bubba job M93 still chambered in 7x57 laying around in the safe. I don’t have any money in this rifle to speak of and don’t know what to do with it.

I have a friend who had a .30-30 AI in a Contender and I was real impressed with the performance he got with the 125 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullet. If I remember it was around 2500 fps at the muzzle with a 14” barrel in his pistol and took his pronghorn buck last season at 225 yards with this combo. I was thinking I could get near that performance out of an 18-20” barreled rifle without going to the AI version. I figured getting a .30 Rem to feed would be much easier than trying to make a bolt action feed the .30-30 cartridge. Unless I found a great deal on a Rem 788 in .30-30.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the 300 Savage?
Might be easier to find brass for it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought of that just didn't want a cartridge that might stress the action too much. Plus I thought if I couldn't find .30 Rem I could always neck up 6.8 brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
While the 6.8 is decended from the 30 Rem, when you see them side by side the first thing you'll notice is that the 6.8 is a midget compaired to it's daddy.
The 30Rem has a case length of 2.04 (nominal)
The 6.8SPC has a case length of 1.68 (nominal)
The big issue with both of them is that the rim is smaller than the mauser bolt face you have now (.473 vs .416 on the Rem/SPC).
If your after a low pressure "punkin chunker" that's fairly common today, why not rebarrel it to 35 Rem? Case head is little larger at .456, but is close enough that it should work with only minor extractor work

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,

Thanks for the info, I hadn't thoughth of a .35 Rem but I will consider it. Any other low pressure rounds I could consider for a M93 action? I know Brownells sells barrels in .250 Savage, 6.5X55 and 7X57 for the small ring. But of those three I'm really only interested in the .250 Savage since I already have the 6.5 and a 7mm-08 in the safe.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
Tailgunner,

I'm really only interested in the .250 Savage .

thumb good choice! Will the twist handle the 120gr. bullets? If so you might want it throated to facilitated the longer bullet. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Tailgunner,

I'm really only interested in the .250 Savage .

thumb good choice! Will the twist handle the 120gr. bullets? If so you might want it throated to facilitated the longer bullet. beerroger

Roger, I don't think I'll need a twist to handle a 120 grain bullet as I've got a .25-06 now that can take any bullet that heavy. If I go with the .250 Savage I'll build a light weight hunting rifle and probably only run up to 100 bullets in it. I've always wanted a .250 Savage but was going a different route since I got a .25-06 to cover my quarter bore desires.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roger, I don't think I'll need a twist to handle a 120 grain bullet as I've got a .25-06 now that can take any bullet that heavy. If I go with the .250 Savage I'll build a light weight hunting rifle and probably only run up to 100 bullets in it. I've always wanted a .250 Savage but was going a different route since I got a .25-06 to cover my quarter bore desires.

popcornSmall point perhaps, but the cup and core bullets are marginal in the 25-06 or 25-06 IMP except perhaps for long range antelope. I can personally attest to this from field failures. Many of the 120 gr. cup and core ,non primos, are just great in the 250-3k or .257 Roberts. beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is nice to have a variety. A 35 rem will give you that. Easy to load with cast bullets too. Keep it with iron sights for rainy days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by papapaul:
It is nice to have a variety. A 35 rem will give you that. Easy to load with cast bullets too. Keep it with iron sights for rainy days.

I had a .35 Rem in a Marlin, really didn't care for the round much and wound up shooting my .30-30 over it all the time. It was a pleasant cartridge to shoot, but I have a .358 Win in a lever and .35 Whelen in a bolt so that was probably the biggest problem I had with the cartridge.

Could be a different story in a rifle like you just described however. A little 18" barreled carry rifle with a nice set of peep or ghost ring sights and a laminated wood stock. Good for deer in timber, a nice little stalking gun.