New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enlarging triggerguards
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, what are some ways of enlarging a triggerguard on a pistol? If you have a small pistol but sometimes are wearing gloves it seems like it would be a bit of a problem to try and take them off before using the gun in an emergency.

I can only think of two options. cutting off the old one and welding on a new one (would soldering work?) alternatively cutting it off all together. I have seen that on old western rigs, looks a bit on the dangerous side to me, but I guess if the gun had a good safety it would work.

Thoughts and ideas? just something I was thinking about.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
There use to be a modification made about 50+ years ago that removed the FRONT of the trigger guard. It was removed flush to the frame at the top and back to point of trigger on bottom. One of my roommates in Gunsmith school did a really neat job on an S&W 1917 Army in 45acp.Barrel cut to about 3" and butt rounded. In a BernsMartin holster it was FAST. I think he went on to be a Deputy Sheriff in Buffalo New York and probably carried it then. He was good with it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Guys, what are some ways of enlarging a triggerguard on a pistol? If you have a small pistol but sometimes are wearing gloves it seems like it would be a bit of a problem to try and take them off before using the gun in an emergency.

I can only think of two options. cutting off the old one and welding on a new one (would soldering work?) alternatively cutting it off all together. I have seen that on old western rigs, looks a bit on the dangerous side to me, but I guess if the gun had a good safety it would work.

Thoughts and ideas? just something I was thinking about.

Red

How about fingerless gloves? Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually I have been on one of my motorcycle kicks, where I start thinking how great it would be to have one again, look at different bikes, look at cost. Not gonna do it, but love the mental excercise and excitement.

This caused me to think about people that carry a gun when they are riding. what happens if they have to use it? I know that for me depending on which gloves I had on it could be a problem.

And fingerless in a glove for riding starts defeating the purpose.

probably doesn't really matter anyways for most situations, just one of those crazy thoughts that got into my head.

Red

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Red,

You could also enlarge a steel triggerguard by forging, would be best to have an assistant with an oxy/acet to put the heat where you wanted it and then use a 4 oz hammer over a 1" round bar as a mandrel. Clamp the bar in a big vise.

Also regarding bikes and gloves, try putting a set of heated handgrips on your next bike and you'll be sold on them for ever after.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What pistol are you wanting to do this to? It would be a fairly straight forward project to remove the trigger guard at both locations and make a new one and TIG it in place and finish. Whatever you do, don't cut the guard off and leave the trigger exposed as a "snag point".

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't actually want to do it to any gun in particular, was just thinking about the possible "dilemma" faced in those situations.

Thanks Mark, I had no idea they even made heated grips for them, the things they come up with are amazing. Harley makes a Dyna Bobber now that has the new 96" engine, that is the one that we are going to go and look at. Not really practical, but I love dreaming. better buy a lotto ticket while I am out. Big Grin

Red