THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Octagon barrel-barrel sling swivel pics?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Interested in seeing octagon barrel sling swivel set up.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Check out the Martini-Hagn website. They have some good photos of fittings on octagon barrels. Most of their octagon barrels seem to have integral fittings, but I'm sure a small, low profile pad type sling swivel eye could be silver soldered onto the flat of an octagon barrel and nicely shaped.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification Steve. Why does Ralf sometimes not make the swivel eyes integral?

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice and links. I have a real good idea of what I am going to do.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
The one part that Ralf Martini does not (usually) make integral is the swivel base. His are normally made separately, soldered into a counter-sink and are elegant as well as functional.

That's exactly what Ralf did on this octagon barrel.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, I just might be able to do it. A lesson is being learned. I waited 8 months for a receiver, It took me 1 month to make the recoil lug that fits under the receiver and the scope bases. It is going to take Dan Lilja 8 weeks to supply the barrel. With benchrest season started, it may take a month to chamber it. It goes to James Anderson[Gunmaker] for the full octagon, and back to me to make the front banded ramp sight in octagon shape and front swivel bracket. It will go back to James to inlet the receiver and duplicate. Doing most of the work myself will still take at least 1 1/2yrs. Our gunmakers ain't that slow.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Forrest: Thanks for the photo.

Steve: Thanks for the description.

Good luck with your project Butch.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a real good photo of what you are looking for on page 130 of Stratton's "Tricks of Trade Custom Metalsmithing"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF,
That is not my cup of tea.
Thanks though
Butch