Find
Notify
Tools

metal stippling
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
Anyone have a good ref. source, preferably w/ pics, on metal stippling? I have 2 or 3 1911 front straps I want to do & it doesn't look that difficult.
thanks

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It's very difficult to stiple the front straps and make it look good, and if doesn't look good you may be stuck with it. IMO you're better off using an add-on piece across the front strap, a rubber grip that includes the front strap, or have the frames checkered.

SHAMELESS PLUG: If you're interested in having them checkered contact me at Toomanytools@comcast.net

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks John. I have one checkered, & it's beautiful, but I find it not very durable on a working gun (the diamonds can get dinged rather easily). Plus shipping the frame off & dealing w/ the UPS hassles on that, I was hoping to find an easier solution I can do myself. I have a couple of pistols stippled & find it works great & pretty durable. Thanks, I'll think on it though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred,
Two words...
Skateboard tape.
Let it wrap around to/under the grip.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you change your mind, and want to have someone do the stippling for you ........................Hire Scrollcutter !

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bug:
Fred,
Two words...
Skateboard tape.
Let it wrap around to/under the grip.

Yes it works, but looks like crap. Thanks though.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Max, but I think my stippling would be too light.

Stippling isn't difficult. Just strive for uniformity. A bit of practice might be a good idea.

I think that you would want to enclose it in a nice straight border...maybe you can find a local engraver to layout and cut the border for you. Unless, you can do it yourself.

good luck

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah - but stippling can be made very easy, you just have to find a guy with parkinsons and give him a hammer and a prick punch hilbily

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 2 or 3 1911 front straps I want to do ...

This might not be for people with weak stomachs, but I’ll pass it along anyway.

An acquaintance took his 1911 to his B-I-L the professional welder. They set the frame in a vise and hit the front strap with a slag scaler for a few seconds. It looks pretty good and works as intended.

I’m not, however, convinced enough to take him one of my custom slides.

Posts: 63 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 1911's for Bullseye shooting were Clark "made"

His stippling was very sharp, perfect for target shooting where you can get your grip before the "clock starts running."

I would not want it on a gun I had to draw.

One of my 1911's had the front strap "roughed up"
with no exact pattern, but it looked good and gripped good. That is probably easier to do than checkering, but I have no idea how it was done.

However good checkering looks great and grips great as well. On a Custom 1911 is is worth the money.

The 1911 I carry daily, a Colt Commander [Lightweight] has a smooth front strap, and a smooth mainspring housing as well.

That way when I draw the gun from under my shirt/coat/vest, IF I pinch some cloth between my hand and the gun it will slide out, and not be "stuck to the gun" affecting my draw.

Also if I get a bad grip on the gun, the first shot will twist the gun into the proper position in my hand.

The checkering in this gun is worn very smooth for the same reason.

I have had this gun for about 40 years.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fred, You can do it yourself if you want Concave instead of Convex Stipples and it is fairly simple.

Take everything out of all the Frames and place all of them upside down on top of a Chronograph at about 50yds. Shoot them with Steel BB Loads(Duck/Goose Loads) from a 12ga. If the Concave Stipples are deep enough for you, contine until you get the coverage you desire. If not deep enough, move the Chronograph closer.

Sure am glad to be able to help you with this problem. Looks like some other excellent Resolutions as well above mine, but they only do one-at-a-time.

My Randall has a Checkered Pachmayr Wrap that is very comfortable in my hand, so I've not had to Stipple mine. I'd guess Hogue makes one with Convex Stipples for the 45ACP, because I have one of the Hogues made like that on a revolver I Deer Hunt with. The Hogue does not slip when my hands are sweaty or wet from rain. By the way, the Hogue Stiples are random in size all across the Grip and are very comfortable.

Best of luck on the project.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote