Find
Notify
Tools

Rechambering question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Is it feasible to re-chamber a 35 Rem to 358 Win? The gun is a Marlin model 336.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nope... not even to 356 or 358 winchester, sorry. for a couple reasons
1: case head differences
2: length differences
3: pressure.

So, even if you open the boltface, you couldn't feed it, and if you single loaded it, you would over pressure the gun.

want a 358? I might be willing to sell one.
jeffe

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I purchased a Model # 7 from the custom shop,Mannlicher,in 35 Rem.Had my smith,make it a .358.It was not a problem.Sold it to a .358 fan in Alaska.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although the Marlin is mcuh stronger than many would have thought I would hesitate to say that it would handle the 358 pressures which are quite high. I think it is possible to load the 35 remington a lot heavier than normal in the 336 though just as it is possible to load the 45/70 heavier than originally thought. I like the 336s. It's just too bad they have that stupid safety. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3571 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what we're basically saying here, is that a 35 Rem can be re-chambered to a 358 Win in a modern bolt action rifle, but not in a lever gun (at least not a Marlin), the action is too weak. If you want a lever action 358, the Browning BLR, the Savage 99, and the Winchester 88 were all chambered in this caliber at one time, good luck finding one. I mean, they turn up reasonably often, but most folks who've tried one won't get rid of them. Good hunting. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I still havent heard back from my smith yet but youve given me a good idea of what to expect. I guess Ill have a go at working up some 35 Rem. loads. [Wink]

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote