Find
Notify
Tools

No recoil lug? How can this be right?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I just bought this Tikka 695, and when I took the barreled action out of the stock I was surprised to see no recoil lug.

I've test fired it, and it seems to want to shoot accurately with one factory load. I won't know what it will really do until I test some handloads.

This action is rather beefy, and stiff looking, so it ought to shoot well, yet I'm wondering how this can be without the traditional recoil lug up front.

It seems to me that it ought to have at least a Remington or Savage style lug trapped between the barrel and receiver.

Thanks in advance.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Tikkas but the Sako rifles, that have that round protrusion on the bottom of the action, have a separate lug, that fits over the protrusion.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Show us a pic of the stock inletting. Specifically where the front action screw boss fits. It may be like the Carcano where there was a steel T-lug set into the stock.

Posts: 3703 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I think it's aluminum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 595 varminter has that system and it works fine in .223. Maybe not so well in 505? Smiler

My gun has a walnut stock and I glued in the AL block. With no other bedding it's a 1/2 moa shooter.
You are right about that receiver - big old block of steel and very rigid with lots of flat bottom to rest in the bedding.

Mind advising what you paid? What cal is it?

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I got it for about $450, including shipping. I bought an extra clip which was about $75 with shipping.

It's a 280 Rky Mtn Elk Foundation rifle.

The rifle is probably alright, but I havent seen this before.

I want to test it for accuracy with handloads soon.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you did very well. It uses the same bolt as the T3 but has that big heavy receiver. In 280 I don't think you have anything to worry about. If that AL block does allow that stud to peen back a few thou it shouldn't upset accuracy or POI because the sides & bottom of the receiver are flat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I myself own a couple an their slick trouble free accurate Out of the box .

Beretta U.S.A. is now the U.S. importer of Tikka rifles. Two action lengths are offered. The 595 is a short action for calibers from .17 Rem, to .308 Win. The standard-length 695 action is for the .30-'06 family of cartridges. The 695M is the same action length as the standard 695 but with a longer barrel and chambered for the .300 and .338 Win. Magnums, and the 7 mm Rem. Magnum.

The rifle on loan from Beretta was the Whitetail Hunter Stainless Synthetic model on the short action and chambered for the excellent 7 mm-08 Rem. cartridge. In terms of operating features, design, overall length, barrel length and weight, it is a fairly conventional rifle by today's standards. That is by no means intended to be a criticism. Designs become conventional because they are popular and because they work. The rifle balances and handles nicely. Bolt operation is as slick and smooth as any factory rifle you're ever likely to encounter. And you could likely include most custom rifles as well.

Bolts on Tikka rifles have twin locking lugs, a recessed bolt face, a spring-powered hook extractor and a plunger ejector. The bottom-right bolt lug is slotted to engage a guide rail in the receiver while the bolt is being moved back or forward. Winchester used this anti-bind feature in their 1968 revision of the post-' 64 model 70. It's a very effective way to reduce bolt play and wobble, and to provide smooth bolt cycling. The rear of the bolt is capped with a metal shroud to protect the shooter from escaping gas in the unlikely event of cartridge-case failure. A red indicator shows when the action is cocked.

The receiver itself is flat-bottomed. The left and right side rails are unusually deep and thick. Instead of a regular flat recoil lug, the stainless synthetic action has a round steel stud projecting from the bottom front of the receiver. The stud is drilled and tapped to accept the front action screw. When the barreled action is joined to the stock, this stud seats into a corresponding hole in a block that is imbedded in the injection-molded synthetic stock. Tightening the front action screw locks the two together.

The trigger housing is machined from a block of aluminum, with the trigger and sear components made of hardened steel, hand fitted for proper operation. Removing the stock allows access to an adjustment screw for weight of pull. As set at the factory, pull was rather heavy at five pounds. But overall trigger quality was very good, with minimal creep and overtravel. The two-position sliding safety on the right rear of the receiver operates conventionally (back for safe, forward for fire). When engaged, the safety both blocks the sear and locks the bolt closed.

The barrel, which is threaded into the action, is hammer-forged, stainless-steel, measures 60 cm (22 7/16 inches) and is nicely contoured. Barrels on all Tikka models are hand crowned and free floated. Rifling twist, of course, varies with caliber. For the 7 mm-08 caliber, Tikka uses a twist of one turn in 9.5 inches. On the stainless model, both the action and barrel have a matte finish, which is attractive and also less reflective than highly polished steel. Blued models carry a polished, low-luster finish.

The trigger guard and magazine well are synthetic, molded in one piece. A spring-loaded, synthetic magazine latch is located on the right side of the magazine well. The latch fits flush with a notch in the stock which protects it from being released inadvertently. Steel washers beneath the action screws and steel pillars in the stock keep the synthetic material from being compressed when the action screws are torqued into place.

Hope that helps . tu2

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Don't you just love those manufacturing shortcuts to save time & money.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
There obviously were some "decisions" made in the design, looking at it overall. As I see it, the corners cut (if corners are to be cut) were in the right places. The parts that count are excellent - receiver, barrel, trigger, bolt - all very well made. The receiver is not as light as it could be, but acceptable and has to be stiff, which could be good. The synthetic stock is far superior to Rem/Win/Ruger/Savage factory junk. The Tikka stock is stiff, and not hollow.

The plastic parts (or polymar/synthetic), depending on one's attitude, may be acceptable. Otherwise pay full price and buy a SAKO. Certain synthetic parts have become the norm on many firearms, especially simi-auto pistols, started by Glock.

I'm still studying the situation, and adjusting my attitude about it. Big Grin Today, in just a few minutes, I'm off to the range to test some handloads. We shall see how well the results of that affect my attitude. Big Grin

If you really want to look at a rifle which by design was made to shortcut mfg costs and time, look at the Rem 700, which has been very successful, and cloned aplenty, although not my favorite.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that ordered one of the first left hand Sako action and ran into the same thing you did, he was a gunsmith instructor so he made a stell replacement luf instead of the one they sent with action. However, he determine that when inletted into a stock and everything was tighten down it worked fine shot outstanding groups...

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look no further than the Ruger Magnum Rifles. Barely a tit on the rifle with a one pound steel contraption mounted into the forend that mates the tit. Such jigs appear to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kabluey you haven't mentioned that the bolt works in the receiver like it's on bearings.
And one thing you'll get with the 595/695 rifles is both lugs contacting their seats about equally.
Most 700's don't do that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 695 is one of my favorite rifles. Period. I have yet to find another rifle, anywhere, that works as smoothly as this rifle. Absolutely amazing. I personally find the fit, finish, and quality of parts (even plastic) to be well done, and sturdy. I would rather have steel and walnut, but this rifle makes a very nice package.

Mine is a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation rifle in .270. I have only been able to put about 10 rounds through it, but with that I believe it to be a very accurate rifle.

The SynWood or whatever they call it really turned me off at first. Upon shooting it, it is very comfortable.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The rear tang of the action has a small lug which actually takes quite a bit of recoil as well. Edited

I have the older LSA55 Action & that also has a small front "lug" which sits in a steel "U" channel and gives very good bedding as well.

Great rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA with a few loads.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not true of the 595/695.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nakihunter:
The rear tang of the action has a small lug which actually takes quite a bit of recoil as well.
QUOTE]

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Here are some more pictures of a Tikka M695 in 338 WM with a walnut stock. It looks like they decided the 338 needed a real recoil lug, although it's still not traditional - as part of the receiver.

KB

quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
I just bought this Tikka 695, and when I took the barreled action out of the stock I was surprised to see no recoil lug.

This action is rather beefy, and stiff looking, so it ought to shoot well, yet I'm wondering how this can be without the traditional recoil lug up front.

It seems to me that it ought to have at least a Remington or Savage style lug trapped between the barrel and receiver.

Thanks in advance.

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

Thanks in advance.

KB
[/QUOTE]

You don't know what is molded into the stock. There could be a lug on the bottom of the plate like the wood stock version.

Posts: 3703 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
You don't know what is molded into the stock. There could be a lug on the bottom of the plate like the wood stock version.

Correct.

At the time of my inital posting, I had not yet seen the lug from the walnut stock 338.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a lug that is in the stock and mates to a cut out in the action.Gives a better fit than an action mounted lug.That is one of the reasons for great out of the box accuracy.The barrels are free throated and made by Sako.The Trigger is all Sako.Its a winning platform.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
It is a lug that is in the stock and mates to a cut out in the action.Gives a better fit than an action mounted lug.That is one of the reasons for great out of the box accuracy.The barrels are free throated and made by Sako.The Trigger is all Sako.Its a winning platform.

And they are free floated too!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote