Notify
Tools

Sako
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it pronounced

Say-co, Sock-o, or Sack-o

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I believe it is pronounced Sock-O, but I call it Say-Co. Always have, always will.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
I believe it is pronounced Sock-O, but I call it Say-Co. Always have, always will.

Yep, what Westpac said.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I call it a Say-co too.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the Record- A friend of mine is an Alaska State Trooper, born and raised just outside of Helsinki, Finland. I asked her one day what was the correct pronunciation of "SAKO". Her answer was "Sock-O".

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Yes, Westpac pointed that out. I think they meant they ain't changin they're ways. Big Grin

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are all way off.

look lower

it is pronounced "Beretta".

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rules are simple:

North of the Mason Dixon Line it is Sock-O.

South of the Mason Dixon Line it is Say-Ko.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Here in Finland we pronounce SAKO like "SUCK-O" where "o" is very very short. The "a" is same as in word "Mauser".

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAY-KO is a watch, made in Japan.
Sock-o is a firearm, made in Finland.
Suck-o is what I'd call my brother when he'd do something really, really stupid.

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I was born in Finland and live here so maybe I know how to pronounce SAKO Mad

Try first to pronounce "Mauser" and then SAKO with same "a". It is little same as "i" in iron.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being Finnish myself, but having lived in the US, I´d say Sock-O comes the closest to the correct pronounciation. Suck-O just doesn´t have the correct "a".

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In South Africa we'd say SAH-KO

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who cares what you call them as long as you use them !. Swedes pronounce it like Sah-Ko also right or wrong .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
This dilemma is a lot like the problem with the name Leupold. Properly pronounced Lew-pold; not lee-o-pold. Funny thing is, I always say Say-co, but never say Lee-o-pold...guess I'm just weird.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
I was born in Finland and live here so maybe I know how to pronounce SAKO Mad

Try first to pronounce "Mauser" and then SAKO with same "a". It is little same as "i" in iron.

But isn't Mauser pronounced Mawser as in hawser........ Big Grin diggin Shit, I might have to replace all my rifles with Tikkas, at least there's no argument how that's pronounced - or is there....

one of us
posted Hide Post
having spent a lot of time with finn's, I can tell you that how a finn pronounces the "au" as in mauser, and in sauna, is different than how others pronounce.

It is like sauna in finnish has three syllables.

No matter how you spell it.

Jamie poika

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
They say tomoto - We say tomato
They say pototo - we say potato
They say Soko - we say Sako

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own about 11 different rifles that have the
Sako label. I know the correct pronunciation is "Sah-ko, but being an un-reconstructed southern red-neck cracker, I just can't resist calling them Say-kos.
GWB.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can only afford the generic Sako called Tikka. Is it Tee-ka or Tick-a? Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's almost tick-a with double k in pronounciation and without h in it.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's not quite sock-o, it's a little closer to "saw-ko". Except around here where it's pronounced say-ko.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote