New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Replacement Trigger
 Login/Join

<scubadvr2001>
posted
I want to replace my factory original trigger on a Model 700 .270cal. with a much better trigger. I've seen a lot about Jewell triggers, but do not know anything about them. What should I purchase and from whom?

<David>
posted
If you must replace you Rem trigger, the Jewell is the way to go. Make sure you get the one with the safety and bolt release. This model usually comes set for 1 lb pull and has three trigger springs and instructions that will allow you to adjust from less than 2 oz to about 3 1/2 lbs. It's usually priced at about $225 and available from Midway and Sinclair and I am sure other places as well.

Personally, I would not replace my Rem factory trigger with anything unless it had a problem or I was building a benchrest rifle and wanted a 2 oz trigger. A good smith can safely adjust the factory trigger to any pull weight you want down to about 2 lbs for about $35 to $40 and it will be nearly as good as a Jewell. I have several Rem 700s, two setup for benchrest with 2 oz Jewell triggers and the rest still have the factory triggers. My varmint rifles, which I don't pack round loaded, are set for 2 lbs and the rifles I use for deer and such are set for 3 lbs. When properly adjusted, there is almost no take up or over travel and the trigger breaks very clean and crisp.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sd-

What are you going to use your rifle for? Being a 270, I'm betting big game. In that case, I think you will be unhappy with a Jewell. Superb trigger for targets and varmints, but inappropriate for big game. Too light, but more inportantly, the trigger shoe is too narrow. If you are shooting with gloves, you'll never feel it. Same with the slightest case of buck fever.

I echo David's comments on the factory trigger. Get it done correctly, and it's all you need. If you really feel the need to replace it though, I'd recommend a Shilen (non-competition model) or a Timney. Both are much better suited to hunting applications than the Jewell, and about 1/3 the price.