New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torque Specifications
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting an inch pounds torque wrench to help with repeatability when reassembling the actions in the stocks. Can anyone tell me what the recommended torque specs are for Remington 700 short actions in both sythetic and wooden stocks for BDL and ADL configurations. Also I have seen the recommended torque specs for Leupold turn in rings also but cant find them. I would apreciate those specs too for one and two piece bases and turn in rings. Thanks in advance.

Russ

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Brumbelow:
I am getting an inch pounds torque wrench to help with repeatability when reassembling the actions in the stocks. Can anyone tell me what the recommended torque specs are for Remington 700 short actions in both sythetic and wooden stocks for BDL and ADL configurations. Also I have seen the recommended torque specs for Leupold turn in rings also but cant find them. I would apreciate those specs too for one and two piece bases and turn in rings. Thanks in advance.

Russ

What did people do before cell phones, sports writers and inch pound torque wrenches? Big Grin

Torque specs are meaningless if you don't have a stable material to attach the action to. To achieve consistent results with the torque wrench, you need to attach the action to a material that won't compress.

In theory, the action needs to be as tight in a synthetic stock as it is in a wooden stock, whether it be a BDL or an ADL, long action or short.

Some synthetic material compress easier than others and the same applies to wood. And since there is no easy way to determine to which degree this material is going to compress under this load, or, under that load, then you will want to make everything uniform. You do this by adding pillars. And if you want more consistent results with your torque wrench, then make sure your pillars are of the same material.

Once you have something solid to screw the action to, then find a torque setting that will hold the action (with proper bedding), without stretching the guard screws.

Because I read it somewheres in a magazine, I use the 65 inch pound setting on those guns of mine that have pillars, and on those that don't yet have pillars, I pull them down until they "feel" snug. Good luck!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next!!! clap

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If you are having problems with your screws galling your aluminum trigger guards you can either spring for the better unit's made of steel, or, put a touch of grease on the bottom of the screws head.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
If you are having problems with your screws galling your aluminum trigger guards you can either spring for the better unit's made of steel, or, put a touch of grease on the bottom of the screws head.

thumb

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
More useless advice. So useless I can't even make $14.95 but that is another story.

The 65 inch pound figure comes from the Remington 700, H-S Precision stocks and the USMC. But for it to have meaning, you need to ditch the factory Rem. tapered action screws and use a square-shouldered screw for repeatability. A thin shim under the head to act as a flat washer would allow for even more consistent torque because it eliminates the galling that occurs each time you torque a steel screw into an aluminum pillar or bottom metal.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote