Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yama wood?
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody ever hear of Yama wood for gunstocks? Read an old article by Jim Carmicheal about a rifle Monty Kennedy stocked for Fred Huntington on a mauser that weighed about 6lbs with a scope.

Posts: 173 | Location: Pa | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
This previous discussion might be useful. Unfortunately, some of the pictures are no longer available.

GV

Yama stock wood

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have. I am not aware of the scientific name, but the impression I got was that it was some sort of mountain (YAMA) maple-like wood from somewhere in Japan. It was very light colored, almost white, very light in weight, but hard & tough. It had a tiger or flame-grain figure like curly maple, and turned out a very beautiful stock if stained dark enough.

The importer sold a "sun-darkening" stain so you could finish it as light or dark as you desired by exposing it to sunlight until it was dark enough, then the rest of the stain was washed off before final sanding and finishing. The color from the stain was in, rather than on, the wood.

I bought some of the stain, which I subsequently used on a stock I made of some other wood. Don't remeber exactly what the wood was, but I do recall that the stain worked. But I never bought any of the wood. Probably should have gotten a couple of blanks back when it was available.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of Yama wood from a stock I made in 1968. This is stained with water stain and kept light as requested. I wish we could find some of these blanks collecting dust in the back of some of the old shops. I could use for a light 7X57. We made light sporters out of the Browning light action from that same period of time. These Browning actions are as rare as the Yama wood. The action had only about 3 complete threads in the receiver. Maybe someone will have a picture of these actions.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Les,

Sent you a pm regarding Yama wood.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Not only beautiful wood, but a beautifully made stock as well........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I guess Yama wood is no longer available? Is there something as light?

Posts: 173 | Location: Pa | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote