Find
Notify
Tools

Floorplate telease for 19090 Argentine
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I aquired a 1909 Argentine action with its origional bottom metal. I am using Blackburn for the new action but will use the 1909 bottom metal for a rifle I already have.

What I am wondering is if there is a commercial release for the 1909 floorplate available. I would like to find one that will allow me to open the floorplate easily instead of having to poke the inside of the release witha pointy object in the ttrigger bow.

Is anything like that available or will I have to make my own?

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually see where a gunsmith has added a knurled piece on the inside of the bow so that you don't have to use the tip of a cartridge, this is definitely a great idea and I want it done to my 7mm mag. I don't know if there is a commercially available replacement release for it. It is probably not that expensive to have this added. And if you are good with metal you probably could do it yourself, I think it is just a contoured piece silver soldered on and then filed to have the ridges for better traction.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanker and Red,

Jim Wisner makes/sells the release you are looking for. It has the raised bump. I used it on an Argentine that I am working on. If you'd like I can email you a copy of the info on it that Jim sent to me.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
William, it is not a big deal to have one shaped and silver soldered on the existing release. It is then cut with parallel grooves with a checkering file.

One thing you might consider is one of Jim Wisner's straddle floor plates for the Argentine. They are not very expensive, $50 or so and really dress up the whole appearance and are a piece of cake to install.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I talked to Jim about this exact thing. He said he didn't make one. He said just get a metal dowel rod (about 3/8" should work good)cut it in half (down the middle about 3/8") then cut it again the width of the release lever and silver solder it in place. Grind polish and blue.
He also said he's about 3-4 weeks out on making up some straddle floorplates for the 1909 trigger guards.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have no experience silver soldering. The shaping and fitting are no problem though. How would I go about soldering it on?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanker, I am not familiar with the Argentine model but if it is like the K98, Gun Parts Corp. has extended floorplate releases available and they are cheap. I have one on each of my 2 Mausers. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim must have stopped making them. I say this because I bought one from him not all that long ago.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
The 1909 is a 98 action but it has a hinged floorplate with the floorplate release in the front of the trigger bow. The way it comes issued the release is designed to be pushed from inside the bow with something pointy(usually a FMJ ball military bullet) and the floorplate swing forward. On custom guns and some commercial you will see a crescent shaped bump on the inside of the bow to allow the release with fingers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1Tanker,
Silver soldering is relatively easy, much like soldering copper pipes, in fact exactly like it. You can get the materials from Brownells and you just use a propane torch.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I do know how to solder copper pipe and circuit boards. If the techniques are the same it shouldnt be too difficult. Any reccomendations on whar solder or flux I should use?

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I plan to do the same thing to an argentine floorplate however I'm just going to use some JB Weld. It's easy to use, plenty strong for this application and won't damage the existing finish.
Good shooting,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanker One
You have another e-maiul from me