New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opening up a Mark X action...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a really slick Mark X action with standard bolt face that I was considering using for a 458 Lott build. What should one expect to pay to have the action opened up, bolt face altered, and feeding work done(excluding the cost of bottom metal)? I had one smith quote $1,000 to $1500 for the above work. That seemed a bit ridiculous to me, but I'm no expert. I'm just a kid wanting a functional gun, not a museum piece. Currently my plan is to find a used Winchester Classic in 458 and rechamber it, but I'm putting together a contingency plan in case I can't find a suitable/affordable donor. Your input and recommendations are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 665 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are Withworth rifles in the US, chamberd for the 458 Win Mag. These are built on the same Mark X action, in the 80-90s and are very nice rifles.

I have seen similar ones going for $800-1200.

Here is a nice one: http://www.cabelas.com/product...-Win-Mag/1529408.uts

I would rather have the Win Mag, then the Lott, as you can build it on a regular M98.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I would buy a Cabelas special 458 (they are a slimmer stock than the Safari Express, and go from there. There have been several on Cabela's site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the Cabelas 458s FN built rifles with the MOA trigger? I'd prefer one with the original style trigger.

Sent from my iPhone

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Yes they have the MOA. You can always go Timney, the make one for it now.

Good luck whichever direction you go!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I would be talking to a different smith. Find someone with a mag MKX and swap bolts. I never had an issue with feeding on a MKX with a normal magnum like the 458-7mag etc.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a spare MK X stripped magnum bolt I'd part with. PM me if you're interested.

Posts: 700 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info Duane. I have heard the Mark X's were hard. About the speed lock, I purposely avoid those actions(bolts). I don't like relying on a proprietary replacement part. What about the commercial FN actions? I've got a few of those...

Sent from my iPhone

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
About the speed lock, I purposely avoid those actions(bolts). I don't like relying on a proprietary replacement part

They are a royal pain. Makes everything bolt related harder to deal with. I have both and I've can't say I've ever seen the speedlock shoot better.

Frowner I missed it was a $%* Lott conversion. I was thinking 458Wmag. While I had a couple 375H&H on a 98 I wouldn't build a Lott but that is just me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
While you can make standard Mausers take long cartridges, to what extent would the Mark X conversion make sense? The 425 Westley Richards might at least use the standard bolt face and fit the action length as is but any conversion away from the original case-body shape can throw up feeding problems to make the Zimbabwe PH trainers shudder.

Posts: 5029 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I bought a 458 Mag Whitworth last year and had the same plan. I came to my senses when I calculated the cost and effort just to get a few more fps from a Lott and stayed with the 458 Win Mag. I'm shooting 450 gr NFs at 2,225 fps and have more room to go on powder and fps if I wanted, but that's more than enough for any dangerous game.

Now, it would be nice in the Whitworths took more than three down on the 458, but not worth the extra $$$ to get more.

Least expensive and quickest route? Buy a CZ 458 Lott.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3064 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote