THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there any thing rong with this idea ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Another poster on this site gave me a reason to look at my Model 70 classic .338 win mag.(see model 70 accuracy) I have 5 model 70s 3 are classics. all are decent to excelent shooters.
The other poster was having trouble getting his model 70 classic 300 win to shoot strait,
And of all my model 70s my .338 is the least accurate. The other guy fixed his by replacing the magazine box with 1 without the spacer thereby making it posible to load closer to the lands. After reading this post I pulled out my .338 and my hand loads. I measured a round with a 225 grain accubond, then i pulled the bullet part way out and pushed the bolt home behind it seating it to the lands. This showed me that my load, witch was as long as the mag box would allow was still just over 1/8th off the lands. Seems like I might proffit from replacing my mag box. Do you see any reason why this would not be a good idea ? Thanks ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Before I went to the trouble of getting a new box I would simply try some loads with the bullet seated long. Load them one at a time. If your accuracy improves then get a new box. You will need to change the ejector and bolt stop as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind you are eliminating a bunch of free bore. Reduce your loads and work up again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas, how does it shoot, group size and what do you use it on?

Sometimes the search for the mythical one hole hunting gun is an exercise in futility. It is shot like that off a bench but it makes little difference when using a tree limb as a rest when you are standing puffing up a mountainside.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chic.

If it shoots close to an inch at a 100 yards, that's going to kill anything I hunt plenty dead.

My Winchester SS Classic is the same way as yours, it will shoot outstanding groups with the Accubonds, and they aren't close to the lands. The O.A.L is 3.35" on those loads, I can't go any longer than that.

Try this load in your rifle,

225gr Accubond
Remington cases
70.5 IMR 4350
CCI 250 Primer
C.O.L. 3.35"

My velocity out of a 26" barrel is 2827 fps. That is a very accurate load in my rifle, maybe it will work in yours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well.
i supose it is accurate enough, but frankly I just like to get my rifels to shoot to there potential, but the idea of single loading a few is one i should have thought of myself.
I am suprised you are getting such good velocity from that load with the IMR-4350, I will look through my notes and see how I did but as I recall i could not get IMR-4350 to shoot with much velocity. I had better luk with RL-19. One Guy I was shooting with was using RL-22 That he packed in with a drop tube and it was impressive ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
The Accubond is a long bullet, and it was starting to compress the powder just a bit. I don't get that velocity with other 225's with 70.5 grains of IMR 4350. I do however like IMR 4350, and H4350 for my 338's.

The barrel on the SS rifle is 26" long, so that adds some FPS to the velocity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chic, I've found that in my case looseing a few pounds does more for my hunting accuracy than anything when it comes to running up the hill and shooting.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote