New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleeving a Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an old 1886 which is totally shot out. No two bullets end up in the same place. I am looking for a little help with

1. Anyone have an old original octagon barrel for the 1886? LOL rotflmo
or more realistically
2. Anyone have experience with having a rifle sleeve inserted and if so who did the work for you? Are you satisfied?

I think this may be the only way to put this one back in the game.
Thank you,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the caliber? Is there enough "meat" in the barrel to re-bore? I ask because sleeving most of the rounds that were available in the 1886 wouldn't be possible. Maybe step up to a different cartridge.

BB

Posts: 79 | Location: S.C. Pa | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A rebore would be both better and cheaper. I had a Marlin 38-40 taken to 44-40 and it worked perfectly.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Green mountain has new barrels that are made to the same specs as the old original , I got one and it's awsome , Shotgun news has several places to send your rifle to have it rebored , I have an old .40/65 but decided to get a new barrel .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had several rifles relined. An original .38-55 winchester in an 1885 and several .22s.
This generally works well if done properly. Mine was done by a local guy that just works for friends. But there are many gunsmiths that do these sorts of things. Lee Shaver, John King, Dave Casey, Glen Fewless to name four. You might want to check out any of the more popular bpcr sites like bpcr.net/forums for example. They can provide addresses and opinions.

I believe either Green Mountain or Badger, or both are profiling barrels for lever repeaters like the 86. You could check with the folks at http://www.buffaloarms.com and see if they have any in stock. They would be good to recommend a smith also.

The last option I would consider would be to rebore.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Several people reline, I think if you cleverly asked one of the tech guys at Brownells, who buys the most liners...you'd probably get an answer(last I knew they couldn't give recommendations).

I can enthusiastically recommend Badger if you want to rebarrel. Ernie's a BPCR competitor, and a lot of guys are winning with his barrels. http://www.badgerbarrels.com Not to mention he's a wealth of information, their shop is breathtaking to me.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olsen lines barrels. His price was $250 just a few years ago.

I doubt that it has gone up much.

He is a very reputable gunsmith, and his turn around is very quick.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tip Burns in Canyon Lake Texas does relining. I saw a nice old winchester he was finishing up a few weeks ago. I've been very pleased with his work. 830-935-3338. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of people who reline old Winchesters. However the important distinction with that is most of them are relining pistol calibers, NOT rifle calibers.

BB

Posts: 79 | Location: S.C. Pa | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
If the rebore/reline options aren't to you liking you could always rebarrel with a the barrel shaped to your old barrels contour. Turnbull will roll the proper lettering into the barrel for a small fee.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that John King will do the lettering too. I forgot that. Not sure about the others.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
clap Wow, you guys are awesome.
The rifle is in 40-65 and I think I would prefer a new barrel to re-bore. I had that done by laBounty some years ago on a different rifle and it was extremely well done. I understand he is no longer doing this work. I like the idea of going to a different caliber like 45-70 but think it best to stick with the 40-65 to avoid feed work and the like.
I am having Dennis Olsen do some other work for me so I will go to him first on this as well.
Thank you all.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, when I owned my own shop I use to reline quite a bit. In fact for a while is was one of my main sorces of income. You can reline most 1886 rifles. It is a great option if you want to keep the original barrel and the original caliber. The liner is almost completly hidden and they shoot very well. I had a client that won several off hand matches with a 38-40 Maynard that I did for him. The total cost was a little less then a new barrel but not much. I charged 330.00 plus the cost of the liner. You can get liners for the rifle cartiges up to .50. The last time that I looked in Brownells they only sold .22 liners and then some liners for the pistol/rifle calibers. i.e. 25-20. I got my liners from Mike Sayers of TJ's.

I thought I had an 1886 45-70 barrel but I have recently moved and I could not put my hands on it tonight. If you are interested let me know and I will look harder. Also if you go from 40-65 to 45-70 there are no changes that you need to make to the action.

Take Care, Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John King Machine Service 100 Dusty Trail Kila,MT 59920 1-406-755-5352 Bore , reline ,& chamber $325.00 Brownells have new from Green River $152.00 John King has the lettering to make it as original , he also does case hardning , Call him for prices .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Question to posters...is the Dennis Olson mentioned the gunsmith from Plains, Montana?
I have had lots of work done by him...all very fine work.
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought I had an 1886 45-70 barrel but I have recently moved and I could not put my hands on it tonight. If you are interested let me know and I will look harder. Also if you go from 40-65 to 45-70 there are no changes that you need to make to the action.

Thank you Michael. Yes please do look. I am learning more about the lineing process and it is especially good to know that there aren't action changes needed if I go to 45-70.

It is also good to know that there are others like John King able to add the letters back. Everything is still faily sharp except the caliber stamp. That may not matter if I change though.

I checked out Buffalo Arms and they do have the Badger Barrel for the '86. I guess I need to make a decision.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael....good to hear you've landed somewhere. Hope the move went well and is a better business move than you guys even dreamed it might be!!

Jim