New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to bug you guys with another question. I've got a brand new FN supreme action with bottom metal for 30-06 based cartridges and I've got a 9.3mm barrel on the way from Lothar-Walther. I'm curious about how the 9.3x62 will feed from a magazine built for the taper of the 30-06 case. I have a 35 whelen improved that was a little finicky, the rounds had a tendency to pivot/rock on the blown out shoulder in the magazine. This allowed the rear of the cartridge to tilt down, sometimes allowing the bolt to slip over it. Being that the 9.3x62 could be considered and improved case with a more gentle shoulder, I was concerned that I may run into the same situation. I'm pretty particular about the feeding of any of my rifles and I really want this 9.3 to feed well. What are your experiences? Do any bottom metal makers out there make a magazine and follower with the specific dimensions for the 9.3x62? I saw that Satterlee made cartridge specific bottom metal, but at $725 I'm a bit hesitant to spend that kind of money(I'm just a po boy). Then again, I don't want to cut any corners and risk anything but perfect functioning. I have a lot to learn and I really appreciate your guy's time and patience with young newbies like me. Thank You!

Posts: 206 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe if you go to Duane Wiebe's site he has a piece on there about making cartridges feed properly. In fact, I think he now sells a book on the subject.

And of course he sells bottom metal that is a bit cheaper than $725.00 each.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may try to hit Duane up about it. I wonder if the factory magazine could be reworked to the correct dimensions using the original Mauser "formula". Which would basically mean leaving the rear dimensions of the box alone the opening up the taper of the magazine with a mill. I dunno, I'm sure I'm being a little too anal about the whole thing. I just need to find a good smith to get the barreled action put together and do the feeding checks.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apprentice:
I may try to hit Duane up about it. I wonder if the factory magazine could be reworked to the correct dimensions using the original Mauser "formula". Which would basically mean leaving the rear dimensions of the box alone the opening up the taper of the magazine with a mill. I dunno, I'm sure I'm being a little too anal about the whole thing. I just need to find a good smith to get the barreled action put together and do the feeding checks.

I'm not going to tell you that the box doesn't need to be widened in the front, but I will say that the feeding will probably depend on the feed rails far more than the magazine box.

I say this because the 9.3x62 and 30-06 cases are so similar.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My FN Supreme 30-06 was rebored/throated by Cliff LaBounty a number of years ago to 9.3x62 with no other modifications and feeds beautifully.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My 9.3 was built with a Zastava Mauser 30/06 action, box and follower and it feeds very slick. Round is picked up perfectly every time.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Screw the 9.3 barreL on the FN. Make up some test dummies and run them through the original hardware before you buy anything else

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have done three of them on standard 30-06 bottom metal and they all worked superbly.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies gentlemen... I talked to Duane and he said that the 30-06 box will work perfectly. Though he did mention that, more often than not, the rails will need to be massaged for smooth and 100% reliable feeding with various types of bullets.