New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 fireball in Sako L 46
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a Sako L 46 action with the intent of building the perfect 17 fireball. Right now I am leaning to a PacNor 3 groove 9 twist super grade barrel. Anyone with experience with this? Do you need a 24" barrel to get max velocity with the fireball? If any one has a varmint taper L 46, I would love to know the specs for muzzle and taper.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moorepower:
I just picked up a Sako L 46 action with the intent of building the perfect 17 fireball. Right now I am leaning to a PacNor 3 groove 9 twist super grade barrel. Anyone with experience with this? Do you need a 24" barrel to get max velocity with the fireball? If any one has a varmint taper L 46, I would love to know the specs for muzzle and taper.

22' will give you the same velocity as you will get from a 24" tube in the .17 F'ball.

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the same barrel specs on a single-shot L461 action. It's chambered in a tight-necked 17-222. I went with a 24", due to the length of the stock forend. Besides, you could always shorten it later.

Maybe this pic will work.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have changed my mind and it will be a .20 Vartag. After alot of reading, and since I have thousands of .204 bullets, it will be a Vartag. I am going to form my brass from .222 Lapua and not the fireball. Casey at Pacnor was a real help in making up my mind.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote