New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little help please.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why does everyone laugh at me when I’m at the range? Haven’t they ever seen a work in progress before? This is my first attempt at building a rifle, and doing it my way. I just can’t get this damn thing to shoot straight was hoping all of you professional gunsmiths could help me with some easy fixes to make my rifle shoot better.

First off I have a small ring Mauser chambered in 7mm, I cut the barrel back and re-crowned it at just under 19â€. I then drilled and tapped the receiver for Weaver bases. I removed the rear sight on the barrel and you can see all this silver stuff where the sight was, what is this stuff? I doesn’t match the rest of the finish on the rifle at all and I can’t figure out how to get it off.

The stock is where I really shine. I just love working with wood. The stock was a little short for me so I added a piece of wood and a nice recoil pad to make it longer. The wood I used didn’t quite match up with the original so I made some oval pieces to inlay into the side of the butt stock, to make a more custom look. I’m most proud of the forearm cap I made for this rifle. I made my own version of the same type of forearm they use on Win feather weight rifles. I love the way the two pieces of wood come together, you can’t hardly tell that they are different types of wood.

I have the front scope base off of the rifle right now. I’m trying to figure out exactly which holes I want to use to mount the base again. I think this will help with my accuracy if I can get it right.

Anyway thanks in advance for all of the comments. Here is my photos of my baby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The silver stuff is soldering. You can scrape it off with one of those single edge razor blades and rub with some fine sand paper and use cold blue if you wish.
As for the people laughing at you tell them to kiss the butt of your mauserSmilerThey are not taking on the challenge of customizing a rifle on their own.

I can't help you with the accuracy part.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First are you using a stock from a large ring mauser? I you are then you will need to do some filling and bedding to make that action fit. I am not a gunsmith but from your view of the above the action in the stock is what I am baseing my opinion on.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys I let this go on long enough most of you didn't bite. Big Grin I bought this severely bubbaized Mauser today at a pawn shop that handles all my FFL transactions. I saw it sitting on the shelf and it looked like a good conversation piece so I bought it cheap, real cheap. $50 out the door on this old model 93, haven't decided what I'll do with it yet but I just had to show it off.

The action alone will need a lot of TLC to get it back into any kind of shape. I don't know if I can save the bottom metal as it is severely pitted. The barrel and stock will just be thrown away if I do decide to salvage this rifle and bring it back to something presentable.

I was fishing for some way out there comments on my sanity but you guys were all too kind. 70+ views and only two very reserved comments doesn't anyone want to have any fun these days. Any suggestions on what I could really do with this rife?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Taylorce1, You didnt fish long enough. Big Grin

You might have realed in "The big one" rotflmo

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I thought it was rem721's guild project. I have a 93 that's in fairly nice shape. I'm not sure what to do with it either.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's difficult to put wheels on a miscarriage.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
A friend just bought a 93 with aftermarket barrel of unknown maker and said it shot well with its iron sights, he's going to use it for a truck gun, whatever that means. It is chambered in the 308.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend just bought a 93 with aftermarket barrel of unknown maker and said it shot well with its iron sights, he's going to use it for a truck gun, whatever that means. It is chambered in the 308.

strax,

Tell your friend to be careful, the 93 was not designed for the pressures of a .308 Win cartridge. It probably isn't an aftermarket barrel, it was probably a re barrel at the armory to convert it to 7.62x51 NATO. I read somewhere that this had been done to a lot of old Mauser 93's. I'm not going to say it will blow up but tell him to find some reduced recoil rounds to be on the safe side.

I'm no expert on small ring Mauser's in fact I wouldn't have known that this was a 93 if z1r hadn't told me after I bought it and sent him some pictures. My FFL told me it was a model 96 Mauser and after seeing snellstrom's .257 Roberts he did on a 96 action, it got me wanting one too. I wasn't sure it was a 96 so I contacted z1r and snellstrom to find out what to look for and I went back armed to negotiate a better price.

The good news is z1r says it still might be possible to build a .257 Roberts on this action. Of course this is after his inspecting the action and with a strong caution not to try and hot rod the rounds. So my dream of a .257 with 18-20" barrel, full stocked in a nice piece of wood isn't dead just progressing slowly.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Taylorce1: I didnt know anything about the 93 untill he called and told me he bought a 98. After asking several questions, and hearing some of his comments i done some nose in the books research for him and then found it is a 93 and not a 98. He is going to bring it by and show me but we work diffrent shifts, so who knows when that will be. Thanks for the info, i'll pass it along to him, he seems happy with it but then he has never owned a real Mauser. Bad thing about it is he gave $200.00 for it. At that price he could have upgraded to a 98, or spent a little more and got a good clone. Live and learn, i've tried to steer him in the right direction but he pushed the petal to the floor and made a left hand turn...oh well!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote