New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice/input?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was given a VZ-24. The stock was bad and the metal has some pitting below the stock, but not bad and I was told the thing was functional. I intended to make some modification and keep it in 8mm for a back-up rifle and moose/elk rifle for my wife.

I tossed the stock, picked up the deluxe Timney trigger, had a wing saftey installed and bought a brownells bolt to have it welded for scope (a friend works in college gunsmithing as a welding instructor). The top hasn't been milled yet, nor drilled & tapped.

Foolishly, after all this, I finally decided to clook at and clean up the barrel and found it suitable only for a garden stake!

Now I have to make a decision. All I want is inexpensive .30 caliber, but I'm not going to go w/ an A&B barrel. Should I continue this project, or am I better off to sell it to somebody who enjoys this stuff and pick up a Savage or 700 ADL in .308.

All input will be appreciated.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Its your choice,but as always converting a mililtry actiion to a sporter takes a lot of work. The back of the reciever really doesn,t need to be ground unless you want to. It probably would be better to go get the savage and sell the vz-24 to some student at school for his project! Know that they need them for i went to that school many yrs ago. vangunsmith

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can probably find a good used 308 (pick your make) for around $300. Figure what you'll have in the Mauser by the time your done, and I'll bet it'll be more than the $300. That said, I've got a good 8x57 take off barrel that came off a VZ24 if you're interested.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If you haven't enjoyed the project up until now. Yea, I'd sell it and move on. It's a lot less hassle to walk in a gun store and say "I'll take that one." Now on the other hand, If you have enjoyed it... Since you have friend that's a gunsmith and would probably help change the barrel. You wouldn't have much more tied up in the gun than you do right now and you might learn a few things along the way(always cool). I think it's a question you'll have to answer for yourself. I like Mausers and would take one over a Savage any day, but that's me. A lot of people wouldn't have one..

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote