Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I just bought a beater 99E (pistol grip, 243) and would like to replace the beech buttstock and funky forend.

I see that Boyd's and others have bolt on replacement stocks but have a few questions:

Are all the barrel bosses located in the same place? Can I put a schnabel forend on instead of the short round nosed one?

Mine looks like it has a pencil thin barrel is that going to be an issue replacing the forearm?

Who has a replacement steel buttplate?

I'd also like to put a tang mounted peep site on it but the tang is not drilled and tapped so what brand of sight should I get? (Is the front sight blade easily replaceable?)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I found both a crescent and shotgun style butt plate on ebay they come up on occasion. There is a semi inletter out there with the different Savage patterns who could answer your questions. Damn if I can remember though. I'll try and remember here soon. You could always have the factory piece duplicated unless you want a near drop in unit.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been disappointed with Boyds as of late, seems what quality they had has disappeared, try Macon Stocks, they have very good wood and it only requires a small amount of wood removal to fit. They also have diagrams of the 99 to show differences in the forend screw locations.
Unless you just want to drill holes in the tang the Williams FP Foolproof receiver sight will fit on the factory rear scope mounts or you can put a weaver base on the rear and use the New England Custom Gun peep sight for the weaver base.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank

I would be interested in buying the factory stock,( buttstock&forend,) if you decide to sell it .

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll buy a shaped blank and inlet it myself (nothing could go wrong that way, LOL).

Actually if someone could recommend a stock fitter who could take a semi-fit blank and fit and checker it for a reasonable price, please let me know.

Hal,
If I can find some wood to fit, I'll give you this old stuff.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote