Find
Notify
Tools

weaver tip over rings??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I have a model 88 that has weaver rings that allow the scope to tip over and the open sites to be used. The are actually hinged with the base. I was wondering if a setup like this has any problems holding zero. It doesn't look like that sold of a setup it just uses spring steel to hold the scope in the down posistion. The scope does block some of your view, Have setups like this been very succesful with dangerous game??

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
A friend had a Browning auto in 30-06 (still does, actually) that shoots about 2 inch groups at a hundred yards with Rem CoreLokts. I borrowed it for moose hunting one year, and I didn't trust the return-to-zero either... so I tested it.

I found that when I tipped off the scope between shots, the groups were still about 2 inches, and in the same place.

So, I have a small sample size (one rifle), but at least this isn't "a friend of mine says that his buddy knew a guy..."

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was kid and started buying my own rifles I played with some that came on different guns. I had a couple of friends with the same type of set ups. I always seemed to have problems until I went to fixed mounts. The Lupold QR mounts to almost the same thing. But if you can get them to work well enough to shoot 2 moa thats awesome. Go for it. To be honest with you my teenaged rifle problems, looking back where probably due cheap scopes more than the mounts.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set on my Rem 700 30/06. I have had them for over 35 years. They have always returned to zero. I bought them when I was a kid cuz I thought they were cool. Don't think I would buy this kind of gizmo again now that I am a little older and smarter. But, like I said they do work, and I have found no reason to replace them with solid mounts.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad had an 88 with the same scope mounts. That was back when people still didn't trust scopes and figured the iron sights had to be available. For the most part, they returned to zero OK. Then, when he was about 77 years old and losing strength in his hands, he made areally bad shot on a deer. Come to find out, the scope wasn't clicked in to the base properly. We replaced it with regular Weavers. I have the rifle now, and in almost forty years the Bausch and Lomb scope has never failed.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used this set-up in the past for about 25 years and my brother uses the same one, right today! We've both had real good luck with it!
Just make sure that the screws stay snug! As previously stated make sure that when you swing the scope back into position that it is "Snapped" in position by the clips on the side of the mount!
Good luck to ya!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I had one of those on a Marlin 336 35 Remington. It did a good job of returning to zero, but I think they would have been better if the scope also snapped into the lower position instead of being able to flop around.

Posts: 10157 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'll get flamed for this, but here goes! I'm a big fan of Weaver bases and mounts. I don't use the tip offs anymore but once had a set on a Savage 99. I shot that gun a bunch of times after tipping them off, and then back on again. They never shifted zero enough to cause a miss on a game animal. That Savage, a 308, was a 1 inch shooter at 100 yards.

I still use Weaver mounts and bases on my JC Higgins FN 98 rifles. The 270 has a 3x9 Leupold resting in the mounts, and the 30-06 has a Burris 4x. Both are extremely accurate.

With Weaver mounts, you can also remove the scope, re-attach it, and it will shoot to almost the same point of impact. Makes for a great setup if you feel the need to pack another scope with you. Simply sight it in at the range, take it off, mount the other scope, sight it in, and you are ready to go. Weaver mounts have been the most trouble free mounts I've ever used, the only rifle I own that has different mounts is my Model 70 Classic. It wears Leupold mounts and bases.