New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blueing, places and cost
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody know a good place to send a barreled action and misc. parts off for bluing? What is usual cost? I can have my local shop send it off for me for 195, just don't know if that is the usual cost or who the shop they use is.

Thanks all!
Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For that matter, what are my other options for finishing this thing, and costs? I like the way it looks in the white, it isn't glossy, just a dull finish right now. I would leave it like that, but would like something a bit more resistant to rust. Somebody told me that Brownells has a clear coat stuff that can be painted on and then fire the thing. Anybody know anything about that? I might be able to get access to an oven big enough to bake it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These folks do a great job and their prices are reasonable. Turn around times are pretty quick, since they blue constantly.

GlenRock

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I used these folks once (master grade finish) and was very pleased with the results. Return shipping is included in the price.

HOT FLASH

While reassembling the rifle, I made a rookie move and dropped the floorplate and scratched it pretty bad. I called them up, told'm what I did and how much it would cost to fix. He just laughed and said to put enough $$$ in with the part to cover shipping both ways. The floorplate came back about 10 days later as good as new. NICE PEOPLE!

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will second Kurt. Phill at Glenrock Blue is a fine individual. He will answer your questions and will do what he says. If he gives you a date he will keep it. I have had work done by him on two seperate ocaisions, and both were back in my hands on time as promised. "Quality" work and "on time" are two things that usually do not go together in the gunsmithing industry. Phill has done that for me, and I highly recommend him for that. GB

Posts: 10 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Red,

Take a look at these guys too:

http://www.guncrank.com/index.html

Dave

[ 05-14-2003, 03:19: Message edited by: Sierra_Dave ]

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Good prices here

http://www.craftguard.com/

[ 05-14-2003, 17:28: Message edited by: alvinmack ]

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
alvinmack:

Those prices are high! I pay $90.00 for a high level polish and hot blue on any bolt action.

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
RickMD,
who do you send yours to?

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
x-51:

Give Tillio Molestatore a call at 724-479-2339. Tillio is in Homer City, PA and does high quality metal and shotgun work.

He sends the bluing to a gunsmith friend of his by the name of Dick Delitch.

His prices are very reasonable.

Rick

one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Red

I missed the part about other methods, like Brownell's bake on finishs. You could use a bake-on finish and do it yourself. Brownells catalog has some tips and looks at Steve's site for more info:

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/turk/turkmain.html

He even has a homemade electric curing oven, in case your wife wont let you bake.

Good Luck!

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I.T. & D. Custom Gun

330-868-6867

Polished blue $80

Sand or bead blast blue $70

Add $10 for shipping.