Notify
Tools

Correct Names For Parts Of Riflestocks?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Gentlemen,

I am taking a writing intensive English class here at UAF and the professor has set the class onto two projects:

1. An oral presentation (with graphics) that covers an area of interest NOT in my major.

2. A formal, full-length in-depth presentation on this area but expanded.

Can you guess what my projects are going to be? [Smile]

I am going to detail different styles of rifle stocks, limited to those I have on hand and ones I can get pretty pictures of off the net.

To get me going I need to know the correct anatomical features of a rifle stock. I know most; forearm, grip, comb and butt but what is the part of the grip called the "wrist" ect.

My second project is going to be covering the design and building of a heavy rifle, not ficticious, I will do this this summer. My instructor, a woman, is very interested since she knows absolutely nothing about this subject and I want to really show people there is more to "guns" than the plastic RemChesters they see at Freddies.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
RR--

Give me a couple of days and I'll try to mark-up a picture with arrows and stuff.

Some more-- Belly or toe line, gullet, chin strap, side panel, flutes and combs (many styles), and others.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I sincerely appreciate your time, Sir. Thank you.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I will see what I can dig up also. Sounds like you are having fun at UAF. keeping warm?

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Yes sir I am. It is positively balmy here, this morning it was 41 F! It later cooled down to 25 F so that wasn't bad. I think the snowmachine dealerships up here are really hurting. No snow.
Thanks for your help, both you and Jack.

I have the stock from the .375 I accidentally bought, a K98k solid walnut (that is pretty nice by the way), my Hannibal stock and the FN30-11 target stock. I also have a copy of the Mauser commercial sporter rifle catalog, I would guess printed around 1920's? So sexy those Pattern A's, B's and K's. Boy I cannot wait 'till I get out of school and start making some bucks [Frown] .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger
I have L & R side photos of a "workingmans" custom rifle. If you'd like them, for markup or whatever, send me a e-mail addy that can accept photos.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner, thanks.

fsrfr@uaf.edu

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
btt