THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Any snags in making a 223 WSSM on a Savage action??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any snags in making a 223 WSSM on a Savage action??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I may just cut the deck and save a few bucks and scrap a 22-243 AI project if this will work. Can a Savage action be rebarreled to 223 WSSM and have it work???

Questions: Magazine feeding, magazine length, and bolt faces

What will Savage sell to the public?? I know Sharp Shooter sells some stuff, but can you get a WSM bolt face??? The one WSM Savage bolt head I have seems to be a modified Controlled round type deal, the others are not.

With a cartridge that short, is the extra magazine length (a Savage short action is almost a medium action) going to cause more problems or would a controlled round feed help???

Along the same question of parts availability, can magazine boxes be ordered from Savage and just swap the box out for a fat mag box???

If I can get the bolt head and box, should be easy swap, no????

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I can't answer your questions but can tell you that my 22-243AI has become my favorite varmint cartridge.
I had no problem attaining 3,600ft/sec with 80gr bullets and with .5 moa groups to boot.
Don't know anything about the 223WSSM except what I've read.
Just my 2 cents.

VH

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Jesse, I've fooled around with Savages since 196...er,um [Roll Eyes] . Have about six bolt heads to fit various head diameters. And barrels? [Wink]
I took a mag bolt head and modified it to fit the WSM case, no problem. Since this was on a Striker action (left bolt, right ejection) I used it as a single shot. Does right well.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Jesse, I built one off a 300 WSM short action.

I like the controlled feed, and it actually feeds flawlessly from the magazine, without blocking it. I can go out a little longer with the 75 and 80 gr bullets without running into the mag.

Seems to work well so far, but I am still waiting on the dies, and shooting factory ammo is no fun.

As far as parts, Sharp Shooter Supply has what you need, though all I bought was a heavy duty recoil lug. I bought my barrel from Pac-Nor.

The most critical part is the mag box, and changing those out without bending them is a trick very few ever master. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote