New
Find
Notify
Tools

Briley chokes- why so good?
 Login/Join

posted
G'day all
Was wondering why briley chokes are claimed to be some of the best around,whats the reason for this,why are they so superior to other chokes and whats this "Barrel bulge" they talk about.
On another note ,what is the advantage of extended chokes that protrude out past the barrel,do they out perform other standard fit chokes.
Reagrds
Big Native

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the extended chokes with the "knurled" surface because they allow me to check their tightness with just my fingers. The extended chokes also "form" or "stabalize" the shot pattren better, since the shot column spends more time in the actual choke tube itself.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thought might be that any damage (like from steel shot) will be done in the long choke tube that Briley uses and not in your barrel. Tubes are cheap compared to barrels.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The extended choke tubes are popular with Sporting Clays shooters, as they allow quick choke changes between stations. The fact that they are longer may improve the pattern, don't know. I think Briley made a name for themselves with their "thin-wall" choke tubes which could be installed in most fixed-choke barrels.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why the Briley chokes work so well, and the reason they stick out from the barrel is the parallel section of the choke.
Most fixed choke barrels, and you average screw in factory choke have a choke section that has a constantly diminishing bore diameter from start of the choke to the end. After the Briley gets down to its minimal diameter there is then a parallel section about an inch to inch and a quarter where the the bore diameter is constant. That allows the shot to settle down a bit, and come out of the gun with less turbulence at the muzzle. The nex result is a more uniform pattern, with fewer pellets thrown out of the pattern proper.
Briley also tends to be meticulous about boring their chokes on the center line. It is not unusual to be able to unscrew a factory choke 1/4 turn at a time and watch your pattern shift over a foot at thirty yards on the patterning board.
Of course, if the barrel is threaded off center, all bets are off.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they are the best and if you could buy better you might not be able to by more expensive. I used to live in Houston, I have been to Briley, over priced for the average guy in my books. But they do have a good product line and have chokes for most guns.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote