New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swedish 8 x 57
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Swedish 8 X 57 and I am interested in making into a 8mm-06. Will the action and chamber be long enough for this????

Posts: 37 | Location: canada | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends if it is a 96 or a 98 action. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

It is a 98 action.

Do you know of any good gunsmiths in Sask that I could take it to???

Were you the guy that built a 350 rem Mag on a Mauser???

If so what particular rifle did you use??

I really like the 350 rem Mag and would like to build one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built my 350 RM on a 98 action. This allows me to seat my bullets out to 3.35" and really use the case capacity. With a COL of this length, the 350 RM handily out-performss the 35 Whelen and the 35 Whelen AI. It's about equal to the 35 Brown-Whelen in velocities. I don't know personally of any good 'smiths in Sask. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I haven't met them yet. Perhaps a couple of our other Saskatchewan posters could weigh in with their opinions. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will have to do some calling I have a couple of guys in mind that could tackle this job....I hope.

Where did u get your .358 barrel from and how much was it??

one of us
posted Hide Post
This 358 barrel was a Douglas, I think. It was quite a while ago. It's been a good barrel, I had it finished at 20", pencil profile. It makes for a light, comfortable rifle. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Would you know of anyone in Canada that has Swedish or Turkish Mauser's for sale???

I would like to pick up a couple for for some future projects.

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by corey006:
I have a Swedish 8 X 57 and I am interested in making into a 8mm-06. Will the action and chamber be long enough for this????

Well, it was long enough for the Swedish Army to do just that - Gev�r m/40. The Swedish 8 mm m/32 cartridge (or 8 mm Bofors) is an '06 necked up with the same angles...

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey, I believe Marstar has Mausers for sale, in various grades. As to your original question about the 8mm-06, all that would take is to remove the barrel, take off a thread or so, run the reamer in, and finish. Put the barrel back on and you have an 8mm-06 which is also a great cartridge. I have another 98 in 8mm-06 Ackley Improved. I know Bill at Premier here in Edmonton has the reamer, and he does good work, just don't be in a hurry. - Dan