New
Find
Notify
Tools

a Mauser action for .35 Whelen..
 Login/Join

<KBGuns>
posted
are any of the currently availible military mauser actions good for rebarreling to .35 Whelen?

turkish, czech, swedish, etc

and which would be the best choice?

the condition of the finish, and the stock are not a concern for me as i will be making a stock for it, and reblueing the gun.

ty in advance.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
My first choice is the Czech.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Czech will work fine.I have a Whelen built with one and it is a respectable rifle.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
<dfaugh>
posted
Most any of 'em will work...Czech are supposedly the "best", but mot that much different...you can get decent Turks really cheap right now (But note most Turks use a small ring barrel..not a problem for .35 whelen, just make sure you know what you've got)

<eldeguello>
posted
Are these actions (magazines) long enough for the '06-based rounds? I measured an M1909 Argentine magazine, and it came up slightly short of the 3.34" required for the '06. [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
This depends on how serious you are but go to http://www.jldenter.com/JLD%20Accessories%20page.htm
JLD has for sell excellent condition 1909 Argentine barreled action mausers - $150. This action per gun smiths I know is the most desired one to get. A key thing here is that it comes with outstanding bottom metal(steel) = trigger guard and hinged floorplate - worth about 400 plus dollars alone if you had to go to one of the shops that supplies (manufactures) these. You would need to re-barrel, add a Timney or other custom trigger, reangle the bolt handle and install a new safety - for scope installation plus your stock. These are standard mauser upgrades - should not be any great expense. I was having terrible trouble finding a steel triggerguard and hinged floor plate for the 98 mauser I have. Bought the unit from JLD 1904 Portugese - it looks new - nicely blued and no pitting for $40 - saved me a bundle - the follower and magazine spring that came with it also ended a feeding problem I was having with the "aluminum" unit that came with the rifle.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
after taking a few of the turks apart, i dont think i would go with thiose, they all seem to be very pitted, like the swam here.

the czech seem to be mch better condition condition. i am working on a turk now, but solely because this is my first project and the turk was very cheep.
the .35 Whelen(or .338-'06) i am planning on in my second year, so it will be of the best parts i can find and afford.

those argintinians sound real nice for the price. i will probly end up getting one, those are C&R correct?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the vz-24. They are readily available and a very tight, solid rifle runs around $100. They can handle the power are easy to work on.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Why not a 9,3X62

Go for VZ-24, Zg 47, BRNO-21 or 22. FN commercial 98's or Argentine, Mauser Obendorf, Sauer& sohn, DWM.

Stay away from the cheapest crap with weak recivers and odd solutions that are fragile.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
My next "project" is a 9.3x64 on a Czech vz24. Heck! why hold back. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
checked out a couple vz24's today, they are very nice.
i am definately going with them with and have decided on .338-'06 cal.
i like the bullet selection better, plus my room number is 338.

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

This will someday be my .35 Whelen

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
has any one bought vz24s from centuray arms?

i was wondering about the general quality of theirs. again i dont care about barrel or stock. i want solely a clean action.

ty

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBGuns:

i was wondering about the general quality of theirs. again i dont care about barrel or stock. i want solely a clean action.

ty

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBGuns:

ty

I messed up the last try. So here go's again.
I bought 18 VZ-24's from century for the action's. Only 1 had any pitting. That one had quite a bit below the stock line. Funny thing it looked really nice in the stock,best of any of them. Most of them had the crest's partially ground off. They should be surface ground anyway so I did not care. The barrel's looked like sewer pipe's. The stock's looked ok other than having oil leak's.
I plan on square bridgeing one and building a 338-06 or 35 Whelen to look like a Mauser " A " ment for Africa for my self.

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
thanks ron, i think i will give them a try.