New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA "Hunter" -good rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have found a nice little BSA "Hunter" in 222Rem, used, but very good condition.
I went home and searched the rifle in "Rifles of the World" and it turns out that BSA Hunter is
an early model centerfire (Hunter models replaced by Majestic models, which was replaced by
Monarch models, which was replaced by CF2 models, which was replaced by air rifles, BSA no
longer make centerfire rifles). Needless to say, it's been long discontinued.

Doing a little more search, it seems that these rifle have a high price tag. A .22 Hornet BSA
Hunter in new condition is 1100$, another used one is priced 400 pounds, which is about 600$
USD or 900$CDN.

I just want to ask if this model of rifle is known to be good. How does it compare to BRNO
ZKK 601 model?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Bolt Action Rifles", 1971 edition, page 225, lists the rifle you describe as the BSA Royal. It was the first "modern" centerfire rifle BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) manufactured. Original chamberings were .22 Hornet and .222 Remington. Author Frank de Haas describes it as "...a well-designed and constructed action."

The BRNO ZKK601 action is described in the same publication over pages 218 thru 224. Again quoting Mr. de Haas: " I don't believe there is another turnbolt action made that has a better, stronger or more positive bolt lock."

As for comparing the two, I believe each rifle is well suited to it's intended task. The BSA for varmint and the BRNO for big game. Both rifles, in my opinion, would be fine acquisitions.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek;When I was about 15 which was about 1960 a friend of mine had a BSA .243 it had a muzzle brake milled into the barrel it was very accurate and shooter friendly loved the rifle and killed a lot of rock chucks at long ranges would buy one in a second but have not seen one since then.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks for replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the BSA gun and it is a sweet sweet lil' rifle. The more I handle it the
more I like it. I bought the book "Bolt Action Rifle" as well. Very good book
loaded with info on bolt-guns. I read a little and found the BSA Royal is built
beyond standard, like having a "ring" larger than even the large ring Mauser.
Being robust, the action can support a free-floated heavy barrel. Handling of
the rifle is great, very smooth bolt lift, very good trigger, lock-time is very short.

All in all I can't like this rifle enough.