Find
Notify
Tools

Action Questions: Which One?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
There exists a very good chance that I will soon be changing jobs and moving to Houston. Also soon, I am looking at my new job enabling me to afford, amoung other things, nicer toys. With that thought in mind I have spent a fair amount of time contemplating the projects I'd like to tackle within the next year or two after I completely finish the 4 rifle projects I presently have on the docket. The 30-06 and 6.5x55 are off to the gunsmith for parkerizing and the 7x57 is barreled. I still have yet to completely tackle the 8x68s, but I'll get that sorted out sooner or later as well. Then I plan to tackle something bigger...

I have decided I want a 375 H&H and a 458 Lott. I am a handloader and I have never shot anything nearly as big as either of these. I think I can train myself to handle both of them however. My problem is that up till now, all my experience with assembling a rifle is based on working with surplus Mausers and I know that these aren't the best basis to try to put together either of the calibers I'm interested in.

So what are my options in terms of action?

Numrich sells some magnum mauser type actions although I haven't heard much about them. I'm not big on set triggers either although I may try one of these actions to build my 8x68s.

I have also entertained the idea of using surplus Enfield actions. These require a lot of cosmetic work, but how hard is it to make them feed 375 and 458? I see decent buys on Enfield actions from time to time. For someone who's got time to tinker with them, would they be worth it?

I could try and find a couple used Winchesters and salvage the actions. I would suppose that there are a great many more used rifles available in the Houston market than deep East Texas...and I've got the time to look. Other than possibly opening the bolt face, what would I have to do/hire done to make...say a Pre-64 action feed properly? Or a Classic action? Again, would it be worth my time?

Lastly, is it worth to try and build such rifles? To me, half the fun is the challenge of building the rifle and getting what I want. However, I bet I could find a decent deal on what I'm looking for if I look hard enough. Would you rather build it? Or buy it?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You found a better job and will make more money in this miserable Bush economy? I doubt your veracity, sir.

Actually, I believe you totally. The economy is damned good, regardless as to what the liberals say about it. I'm working all the hours I can squeeze out of my body and makin' more money than I ever have. I suspect I am not alone.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer my friend,

With my present job at a present hourly wage...any job is an improvement! thumb

(Just graduated college...the fun's just beginning!)

Jason

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I held onto a real nice sporterized winchester 1917 for years that I had dreams of building a .375 on. I finally traded it off for something I would actually use. If I were to once again become eat up with the wants for .375 I'd like to have one built on an enfield action.

I think the ideal would be a remington model 30.

Good shooting,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason-

If you have a new job, you may--in all sincerity--not have the time to build it.

I'm certain you've spent some time stoning receivers, so I don't have to tell you the time it takes to build.

Yes, I've spent way more building than I would have had I gone to Wally World. And purchased known commodities, with a value that all acknowledge.

You have a brand new college degree. At your age I was driving too fast-- motorcycles and cars--traveling, and chasing girls.

Building rifles will keep you off the street, and out of trouble... but I don't get the impression you'd get in trouble anyway.

To me, Jason, building rifles is Zen; an emphasis on process before goal.

You have to love the (almost always slow) process.

Were I you, I think I'd be happy to spend time shooting and reloading for the projects I'd completed so far--I know you have a few--and travel. In particular, I regret not having seen New Zealand and Oz.

Rumor has it there's fine hunting in New Zealand.

FWIW,

flaco

N.B. I'm not certain I made this clear, Jason.

So let me add... that although I'm divorced, being married is really sweet.

You might find a Sheila that would keep you so busy you had no time to build rifles.

What a fate!

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Flaco,

You raise a good point about time availability. I honestly can't say how much I'm going to have; surely I'll have some somewhere. The transition is going to be interesting for me.

At any rate, I'm the type of person who starts to pull his hair out if he doesn't have some type of project going somewhere time regardless. I've already got my standard length Mauser actions planned for...I am just looking to "kick it up a notch" with something like a 375. Who knows, perhaps I'll happen across a nice used Whitworth if I look hard enough. That would be nice I guess.

Still, I am curious what it would take to get a standard length Winchester or Enfield to feed the longer H&H based cartridges?

Anywho, thanks yall.

Jason