New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 Brenneke
 Login/Join

<Cobalt>
posted
Now that my 9.3x64 is done, it's time for another project. For the 7x64, would an '09 Argentine offer any advantage over an FN military? Would it be a toss up between the two? Could a 7x57 be rechambered to the 64? Thanks, Cobalt

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Cobalt,

My choice would be the '09 Argentine simply for the bottom metal. The receivers are a toss up. I have a Mauser Type B in 7x64 which is a terrific shooter with iron sights, but I have to machine a pair of claw mounts to shoot it with a scope.

Let us know how the 9.3x64 works, we're working on a pair of 9.3x62's.

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a 100 new unfired 7x64 cases for trade?

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42154 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
At a local gun show today I found two boxes of Norma 150gr 7x64 for $10/box. Thought that was a pretty good deal. Bill, your friend Dan at Wells Sports Store did the bbl and bluing work and I will have him do the 7mm also. Nice Guy! Ray, is this Norma brass? Thanks, Cobalt

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Cobalt,

Today he is not my friend and hasn't been since Thursday because he is ELK hunting and I am Not!

Dan is a good guy and makes great barrels.

The 7x64 is darn near a 280 Rem. with very subtle differences. Personally, I think that it would make a great rifle for just about anything up to and even including Elk, but specifically a really good Goat cartridge. The best part is the fact that it fits in so many standard long actions with virtually no changes. Nice choice for a rifle.

Bill

<DOC>
posted
Cobalt'

7x64 is a perfect companion for your 9.3x64. You certainly can pick winners.
How did your 9.3 turn out? Does it feed? Have you shot it yet? You sound pleased with it. Please give us some details.

DOC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt,
Remington brass I think, but I'll check and let you know if it isn't.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42154 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt,
A 7x57 can be rechambered to 7x64, I have done a couple. Also bear in mind that the 7x57 and 7x64 are specified different bore and groove dimensions to those of the 7 mm magnums. The first group is 6.98mm/7.24mm bore/groove while the magnums and the 280/284 calibers are 7.02mm/7.21mm bore groove. If anyone has a 7mm of any persuasion that won't shoot, try using the right size bullets. This is a can of worms because I have seen many rifles that were rebarreled with the incorrect barrel and the only way to be sure about the size is to mike the bore/groove dimensions. Just to confuse things, the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart is specified as 7.00mm/7.22mm bore/groove although I have yet to see one that is not built on either of the above two barrel dimensions.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets