New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting grip cap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to fit a replacement grip cap to my rifle. At present there is a horn cap but I have a metal cap which I want to fit. On removing the horn cap I see there are three indentations in the cap which have been used with some sort of adhesive to position the grip on the stock and stop it turning. I see also that the new metal cap has two small blind holes to perform the same function.
Can anyone tell me the sort of adhesive or filler I might use?
Do I oil the cap to stop it sticking permanently to the pistol grip?
The central screw on the new cap is larger also.
I dont want to split the pistol grip on the stock but I would suppose I would use the old central hole as a guide.
In enlarging the old hole how much smaller than the new screw do I drill it?
Any help would be appreciated . Miers

Posts: 45 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
You can use Acra glass to secure the cap and it come with a release agent to paint on the cap. As for the hole you need to see if it is in the correct location. My guess is it won't be. In that case you need to mark were the new hole will be and see if it is too close to the old hole. If it is you should plug the old hole with a hard wood dowel and start fresh.
As for drill to screw size I like to measure the screw body size at the smallest part of the threads (minor diameter if you know what that is) And just size a drill with in a few thousandths of that wood will move a bit but no hole or a very small hole for the screw may result in a crack

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote