New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 drill and tap question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would someone (maybe Speerchucker30x378) have a dimension drawing for the exact location for the holes for mounting a receiver sight on a M70? The older ones were drilled and tapped, and somewhere along the line they stopped.
I've got an FN M70 Alaskan that I would like to put a Lyman 48WJS on. I'm familiar enough with locating it so the disc clears the bolt, etc., but I'd like to see if there's a more exact location...

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glue it on. When you are happy with the location, use a transfer punch to mark the hole locations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe, but the base has to be inletted into the wood too. I would like a neat job the first time...

And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the two I checked, the rear hole is .812 ahead of the rear of the left sidewall of the receiver and located on the bore centerline. Spacing is .600. These are pre-war actions but I think the measurements should be ok on a new one as well. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If you are overly fussy you can set the bottom of the action on a 123 block and then put a washer on the rails and run a bolt through the washer, action, 123 and into a T Bolt in one of the T slots in the bed of the mill and lock it down solid. Then using a common square line up the base on the side of the receiver and clamp the base to the side of the receiver with a machinist clamp. After that its a simple matter of removing it from the table and transferring it to the vise. Map the holes in the sight base with a center finder and drill and tap them. 100% square.

coffee Or you could just use the numbers that Bill gave you and accomplish the same thing in ten minutes. But that's no fawking fun! LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rod, that is priceless!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Bill. That's what I was looking for.

Rod, what can I say? rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
Rod, that is priceless!

Yup !

Very time consuming, but I do it all the time on oddball stuff when I know the customer is going to check the alignment against the scope bases or the bottom of the action as soon as he gets home. It works 100%. You just gotta charge for it !

coffee Actually, I have contemplated simply throwing all of those customers under a bus. But I still need their money and I have this arrangement with the RCMP - - - - - - - - - - - B A S T A R D S ! They never let me have any fun.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta say, Mr. Henrickson, even though I think you were making just a bit of fun of me here, I do love reading your stuff... Smiler This site would be severely diminished without you.