New
Find
Notify
Tools

New safety for a Ruger #1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was pretty pleased with myself so I have to brag a little bit. I'm currently a gunsmithing student and also the happy owner of a Ruger #1 in 458WM. Happy except for the safety. As with many other #1s the cases hit the front of the safety button when ejecting. So I decided to do something about it. Not wanting to just cut the front of the safety off I got brave.

http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb437/Bloodnativ/

I hope these show up. I am going to file the "hump" down a little bit more, refile the front and redo the front serations. Mind you this was a first attempt at such a project and I still have another safety button that I can fit and do a bit better. I'll blue it once I get the shape just right.

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Fine job! Looks like it could go down a wee bit. Always best to keep things a bit proud as it’s a lot easier to file down than too file up. Good job. Earl.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure the edges are chamfered and smooth, no burrs etc. Try it with gloves too.
Small details can make a big difference in handling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job!

After you finish this one you might consider finishing the other one and stippling or checkering it instead of grooving it, for a looks comparison. Not saying which looks better 'cause that's personal taste, only saying that a comparison might put some new 'taste colors' in your paintbox one way or the other.

And you're starting off RIGHT when you make more than one widget blank in the beginning! I always try to make 3 blanks at first, then I usually lose one of them to some fabbing blunder before actually finishing one (grin).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, now you've gone and done it. I gotta make one. Been hearing of this problem forever. Looks as you found a good fix. Good luck with your classes and continue the good work.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This has been debated at length before, but I have always wondered if Ruger considers this a problem. The No 1 has been around since the 60's. It was one of Bill Ruger's pride and joys, and he was pretty cognizent of public feedback. It could be that Ruger designed it this way on purpose and haven't changed it. On my new Browning .243 hi wall, there is a separate piece attached to the action to do exactly what the Ruger safety does. Not saying that this suits everybody, but maybe that was their conscious decision and they are sticking to it. Seems like in 40 some years, if they had made a bonehead mistake without thinking or noticing, they would have corrected it.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
I really like what you did. good job. I agree with the above poster that Ruger may have designed it that way. When I had my 416 Rigby I didn't want those expensive Norma brass flying out of the action. I felt it was perfect. I can see in some situations like hunting DG you might want it to clear though.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote