New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a m48 that really gives me a hard time when i try to push the bullets into the chamber. it eats the brass and leaves little shavings in the open area just before the chamber. question is , if i dremel on the feed ramp to get the agle different will this hurt the action?

Posts: 52 | Location: omaha | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
nicshorse---

YES, it will hurt the action because that's not what's causing the problem.

First things first--- Is it an original M-48 with the original barrel in the original caliber?

What does "eats the brass" mean?

Have any other parts been changed?

Did it work before and now suddenly stop? If so, what has changed?

The proper way to fix a problem with any mechanical device is to first figure out what's wrong. THEN fix it. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbelk ,
i sent you an email with pics.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Loaded cartridge and or bullet has to be dragging on a sharp edge to create the problem you are describing.
If this is a recent rebarrel it may be that the smith failed to debur/ slightly chamfer the edge of the chamber or if not, then something has created a bur that is catching and scraping off shavings of the bullet or case.

Either way start looking for the part that has an edge/end that has a slight plating of cartridge or bullet colored metal. When you find that spot start looking at the reason the metal directed to the area and then why is it being shaved.
As Mr. Belk stated, look for the mechanical cause of the action, then figure the solution.

The Dremel may wll be the ultimate cure, but likely only if used sparingly.

LouisB

Just a bunch of suppositions and unsupported opinions of course.

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
took it to the gunsmith. thanks for the input folks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. horse,

Just curious, which 'smith do you use in the Omaha area?

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i've used gunsmithing specialties in the past, but he is far too expensive. Carl Jarl on 110th and I st. they just recently got back into the gunsmiting bussiness. if you go down there, get one of the 10 % off coupons that are floating around first.save a couple of bucks. they also have coupons at Carl Jarl.