New
Find
Notify
Tools

adams and Bennett or??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the barrel is 60 degrees and the receiver is 55 degrees, the shoulder to shoulder force can be made the same but the force will be more compliant i.e. lower spring constant.

Judging from the fact the accuracy is nearly unchanged with a Mauser at 10 foot pounds of barrel torque or 500 foot pounds, I doubt the compliance will make much difference in accuracy or temperature warping. The minimum torque for a fastening bolt with 1" fine threads lightly lubricated is 500 foot pounds and the maximum 600 foot pounds.

I always cut the threads at 55 degrees and try to get a good fit:
1) screws on easily
2) no side to side play with one turn of engagement

Why bother fitting the threads so well if it would make no difference?
It is a matter of personal pride in workmanship.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i agree and would love to use blanks exclusively. but we have to deal with the hand we are dealt!. and until i win the lottery and become totally filthy rich and don't have to do this anymore i will continue to install the pre-threaded and short chambered this way. because to be totally honest i have this nasty habit of eating i just can seem to get over. but i knew this Indian once he had a horse he trained not to eat, and the damn thing up and died on him!!!!. not that's gratitude. troll

Posts: 36 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote