Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Boss availability
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
I have a question for all you gunsmiths. I was thinking of trying a Browning Stainless Stalker, 243 caliber. I found a plain barreled version at the local gunshop, but I wanted a Boss equipped version. They did not list this configuration in their book, so I called tech support to see about a custom installation and I quote "You could pass out all the money in the world and we wouldn't do it". Which left me wondering why. The larger calibers of stainless stalker, 7mm-08 and up can be had with boss, Likewise the composite stalker that features a carbon barrel can be had in 243 with boss. So why not on the stainless stalker? Is there a technical reason?

------------------
Load Hot, Shoot Straight
JoeM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question--- I have a .223 in Stainless Stalker, with the BOSS.

One thing to be aware of: When Browning advertises a 22" barrel with BOSS, that's 20" of real barrel and 2" of BOSS. It may be that with a real 22" barrel, the BOSS can't hit the right resonant frequency for tight groups.

Browning has only recently started admitting that they count the BOSS as part of the barrel. Might have something to do with how disgruntled I got after I bought what I thought was a 22" 30-06, and was seriously annoyed to find out that my new toy was seriously challenged in the muzzle velocity department. Browning and I had a fairly serious discussion about it.

One of the guys at the range I frequent simply took a 3/8" plate, about an inch tall and 3/4" wide, and drilled a hole the size of his barrel, just back of the front sight. He made a cut from the top of the plate to the barrel hole, and installed a cinch screw across the gap. Below that, he drilled and tapped a hole for a 3/4" x 1" cap screw. He threads the screw part way in, and secures it with a jam nut. Moving the screw back and forth changes the resonant frequency much the same as the BOSS does. He says it works quite well.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Thanks for the how-to info. It seems that there are no 223 stainless stalkers this year, so hold on to yours. It still seem weird that they would put a BOSS on the composite stalker but not on the stainless stalker. One thing that I have come to expect from the gun companies is that they do not seem to stay loyal to one configuration of product for very long.

------------------
Load Hot, Shoot Straight
JoeM

<Bill>
posted
Joe,

I am almost positive they offered a stainless stalker 243 with a BOSS in the past.
If you handload I would advise staying away from the boss, you need to readjust it with different bullet weights and seems to be more trouble then it is worth at times. It adds a whole new variable to load development, that for me at least, was not worth the time.
I owned many Browning A bolts and owned two with the BOSS, a 308 stainless anda 375 Medallion, both shot very well but were not worth the aggrevation at the range, so I sold the two of them.
What I did like about the BOSS CR was it served as an excellent cronw protector when climbing through harsh terrain.
Browning Customer service is well know for thier favorite saying, "can't take it out of factory specs!".
FYI, Browning uses different bedding compounds on thier BOSS and nonBOSS guns, they talk about this on thier website.

Good Shooting,
Bill