Find
Notify
Tools

1917 Remington enfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I have an old sporterized 1917. I want to make it into something as it has sentimental value and the current barrel won't keep an '06 bullet into a 5 gallon bucket.

Was thinking of a .404 Jeffrey.

Thoughts???...or...Suggestions???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36723 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome idea! Love them. What do you already have in your lineup? What are you thinking as far as mild, middle of road, or full blown? If I were going full blown and spending money on custom bottom metal for instance I'd pick something more like the 505 gibbs, 450 rigby, 416 rigby, something that really fills that action. (arguably if you're going to all that expense you could go with a cartridge that isn't available off the shelf, as in "why not get a cz"? though that is not my personal mindset, I can appreciate having it completely different. there are some cool wildcats out there)

There are other options that would work with just modifying the magazine box that is there. Many here have worked on them so I'm sure you'll get lots of chime in. (with way more knowledge and experience than me). I'm almost reluctant to say this in case I am remembering wrong but I think guys made mention that Jim Wisner had done an article on converting one to 505 gibbs.

reshaping the tang will let you get a better angle/shape to the grip. You could change the safety, but I'm one of those that thinks the action should still be reminiscent of it's original form when it is done. I love the safety and would keep it.

I have one in 35 whelen and if I didn't love it so much would have it changed cause I'm always feeling it is a waste for a standard length cartridge. Smiler

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
.505 gibbs will get your attention... tip burns www.canyonsportingarms.com has a reamer...and he's close to ya...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Gainesville is quite a drive to Canyon Lake. Tip is good though.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice 30.06 take off barrel from a Rem. 1917, V.G. bore.

PM me if interested.

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote