New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthening the throat
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a .264 Winchester with is chambered with the (nonsensical) zero-leade SAAMI chamber. Despite having a magazine of 3.6", most conventional bullets cannot be seated to an overall length of more than 3.25" or so without engaging the lands.

What type of tool does a gunsmith normally use to lengthen an existing throat? And is it a relatively simple operation? I think I know the answers to these questions since I had the same thing done to another rifle a quarter of a century ago, but I've slept a few time since then and don't recall precisely.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It a simple throat reamer. By the time you buy or rent the reamer if your smith already has one you might as well have hime do it. Take a dummy with the bullet you plan on shooting most of the time. Seat it to the AOL you want and tell your smith to cut you what ever clearance you want.

You could probably cut it by hand with a reamer and handle but risk cutting it too deep. Doesn't take much since all you are cutting is the lands

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve-

Are you planning on doing the work yourself?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
You could probably cut it by hand with a reamer and handle but risk cutting it too deep. Doesn't take much since all you are cutting is the lands

My friend Caribou Bob had a Guild smith rebarrel one of his Mausers to 9.3x62. I told Bob that I would pay for half the chamber reamer (with throat) if I could use it on one of mine afterward but he said the Guild smith wanted to buy the chamber reamer (no throat) himself along with a throating reamer.

Long story short: Bob's new barrel, installed and throated by an expert, ended up FUBARed with a throat almost 1" long. It shoots OK but Bob will never be happy with it, he's already planning a new one.

Moral: be extra careful with both throating reamers and smiths. And re IDing the culprit, 'No names, no pack drill!'
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
Steve-

Are you planning on doing the work yourself?

No, just making sure what the gunsmith needs to be equipped with. Does the smith who did your .264 have a throating reamer? I wouldn't mind running it down to San Antonio for the work.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with my 264. I bought a throating reamer and a T handle from Pacific Tool. I just took my time and it wasn't too hard to do. I still need the T handle, but I no longer need the reamer. If you are interested, I'd be willing to sell it to you for $50 including shipping.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Considering the throat is one of the most critical aspects of the barrel/chamber, I would caution doing it by hand. In fact, I would caution doing it in any manner that doesn't involve a lathe and a precision set up. Think of the throat as the "birth canal". What happens there will affect the flight of the bullet to the target.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biological considerations aside the number of remington barrels that shoot great (ever seen one of those throats!) plus knackered old BRNOs (erosion by rust isn't symmetric) I've come to the conclusion that as in other things it's the last 6" that count.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
Biological considerations aside the number of remington barrels that shoot great (ever seen one of those throats!) plus knackered old BRNOs (erosion by rust isn't symmetric) I've come to the conclusion that as in other things it's the last 6" that count.

I happen do disagree, though not by much. I think the throat is the most important, the crown (last 6") being the next essential portion.

I look at it this way. If a bullet enters the throat at an angle, lets say for example 1 degree. The bullet will deform to match that one degree. All things being concentric and true(including the crown) the bullet will exit being off balance affecting rotation, etc.

Now, if the throat is perfect, the bullet is perfectly concentric, exits the bore, with an improper crown, the effect of the gases present is less than the effect at the throat.

Yay? Nay? Seems logical to me at least. I have a book or two upstairs that may comment on this, if I find something I will post.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't get into the argument about which portion of the barrel/bore is most important, but I will observe that my OLDER .264 has had uncounted thousands of rounds through it in 45 years and the first inch of throat looks like alligator hide. However, it continues to place the first shot from a cold barrel exactly where it did the previous fall, and still groups sub-MOA. Thus, I'm a little dubious about "wearing out the throat" on a hunting rifle being a problem.

I do believe that a poor job of throating that was out-of-round or at an angle to the line of the bore would hardly be conducive to good accuracy, however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I won't get into the argument about which portion of the barrel/bore is most important, but I will observe that my OLDER .264 has had uncounted thousands of rounds through it in 45 years and the first inch of throat looks like alligator hide. However, it continues to place the first shot from a cold barrel exactly where it did the previous fall, and still groups sub-MOA. Thus, I'm a little dubious about "wearing out the throat" on a hunting rifle being a problem.

Interesting observation.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote