Find
Notify
Tools

Another Whitworth Cross-Bolt Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
I have a new-to-me Whitworth .458 WM that will get some gunsmith attention if I ever get off my lazy duff and get it worked on. Do you think it needs/could use an additional cross bolt? If so, would you do an internal/hidden one to keep the original look?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about whether it needs it, but will say that I don't like hidden or covered crossbolts. I like the hardware to show. I also don't like them with the hex head like on my mod70, I like the traditional looking spanner wrench headed crossbolts, showing. That is just a personal preference thing. I had a stock worked on for a 458 and the crossbolts the guy capped with rosewood, nice of him to do, but I didnt' like it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
When John Ricks put my Whitworth together he was adamant about installing an extra cross bolt. They didn't match, but it didn't look bad. I've restocked the rifle since this picture was taken.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for your input. All in all, it looks like a second cross-bolt would be advisable. What could it hurt, right?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote