New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning hard to reach areas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please forgive me if I don't use the right names for parts of the action, I really need to get a good blowup diagram with parts labeled...anyways...

When cleaning your rifle, what are some ways of getting into the raceways where the locki8ng lugs ride in the front ring, and the extractor cutout? Normally I get a q-tip and bend the end of it and try to use that. Biggest problem is it is hard as hell to see in there, especially with a scope on etc. Anything better to use than a bent q-tip?

Gunsmiths, how do you work on this area of the action? as far as polishing out any dings etc. from over-zealous cleanings etc.? I can't imagine how you could see in there to know what needed to be done.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I bought a tool years ago that takes dental cotton bobs. In use you put a clean bob in the hole that runs perpendicluar to the long axis of the tool and insert it in the action, then rotate. The cotton bob cleans the bolt lug recesses. I am always amazed at how much black gunk comes out on the cotton.

I would check Sinclair for such a tool.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway has a plastic tool that works the same way.

www.midwayusa.com

It came as part of a complete cleaning kit that I bought from them. They also have swabs with metal wire handles that you can twist so that they hold that angle, and they work well for getting into awkward areas, too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bore Tech also makes a good action cleaning tool like this and they sell the cotton "dental" swabs. In general, I have been very happy with their cleaning equipment.

http://www.boretech.com/acts.htm

Posts: 56 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote