Find
Notify
Tools

1886 hammer rebuild
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Need someone I can sentd the hammer to that can rebuild it.

The last time my Dad took it hunting there was some kind of "fall/dropped issue" (heck it was back in the 50s I don't exactly remember) and still bagged a nice Mulie

Right now it is firing from what was the half cock position as near as I can tell which works fine in some ways since my loads are based on LP primers and they are soft, but it will fire LR also.. Anyway it needs to be rebuilt so I don't have to keep the chamber empty to hunt.
I do not need a Turnbull level of restoration, just a simple functional hammer will do.
I would prefer to get the original trigger, but will one from the new guns substitute?

THANX dpcd I threw in the wrong word (and I always . . . ALWAYS saying words are important). HAMMER
So if someone whom I contacted via PM does not have one lying around, anyone else have one 86 or 92.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hammer or trigger? You mention both. You need to have the hammer half cock notch welded up and re cut. and hardened. I don't have time now but it is not a hard job.
What is wrong with your trigger?
Current 86s have a rebounding hammer.
One from a Uberti would work. You could do that until you get yours fixed, and it would be cheaper too.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Triggers are easy.

Winchester had this figured out a LONG time ago.
The trigger from a 1886 is the same as used in a model 1892, and there are still lots of 1892 parts out there.

JW

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sorry, fingers ahead of brain . . . HAMMER, same as 92 also???

Trigger I could make with file and drill press.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turnbull will do minor repairs.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote