THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carbon Fiber Barrels any good or just a gimmick?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please no hearsay.Actual experience would be helpful.Thanks,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones I have installed machined beautifully, and were top quality. Customers like the way they shoot. Main advantage is weight reduction. No better or worse than Krieger of Bartlein in terms of accuracy potential. A lot of $$ to save some weight.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Gimmick. Doesn't mean they can't work but there are better ways to get a lighter barrel. Some I've worked on shot well; others shot very poorly--one that went back to manufacturer twice still shot badly.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got 4 of them.
300 Rum
28 Nosler
6.5 X 280 AI
20 Practical

They're all very, very good "shooters" by anyone's standards.
Gimmick? I think not but they're unique and maybe some don't like the way they look.
If I were building a rifle on a more tame and standard cartridge or in a beautiful wood stock, I'd certainly opt for a more "normal" barrel (which I've done now near countless times).

BTW: yes, all Proof Research barrels

To each his own,
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Several Proofs
300WM,308,223 Wylde,6.5CM,6.8SpcII

All Sub MOA
Run all with Titanium suppressors most of the time (TBAC or GT)

(last) 4 are AR platforms, with Carbon front hand-guards/ rails
Typically- the weight with optic and NV clip-on
is about the same as non- carbon (std) AR platform without optic and NV clip-on

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
10/22 and AR-10 in 260 Rem. Happy with both but the 10/22 is the standout. Handles incredibly well and was very competitive in Hunter Class 22BR (I was lucky to buy a Jewell 10/22 trigger before they quit making them, which helped).

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used a few of them, if I had to pay $750 for a blank I’d skip it. Accuracy was good/decent. My barrel maker said to me when they shoot well, all is great, but he feels they have a bit more percentage of barrels that just don’t shoot as well as hoped. That might mean 3/4-1MOA instead of 1/4-1/2MOA. I probably won’t use any more myself except a 22rf bbl I was given...that might be cool as a flyweight squirrel rifle.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting standing, it helps to have some weight up front, which is why I continued to use my NM M1 until the heavy barrel M14's came on the scene. Even in Africa, there are times when the demand for speed precludes the use of a tripod shooting standing. I can remember several instances. I never shot .458 WM and above any other way than standing, unsupported.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own three Proof barrels (installed two of them myself) and have shot several others (including two from Christensen Arms)-- without exception they have been extremely accurate.

Whether they are a gimmick is probably a matter of your needs but, in my experience, they shoot.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote