Find
Notify
Tools

My Last Day
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Hey guys. After 30 years with the same company I'm retiring today. Now I can spend my time working on something I enjoy. All those rifle projects that are waiting in the safe. LOL

Just felt like sharing. Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ramrod
Let me congradulate you on your loyalty!!!

Now, since I am just north of Houston, when are we going to get together for shooting, hunting, and lying?
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and condolences! [Wink]

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
ramrod340,

Congratulations, how does the wife feel about your retirement? [Wink]

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
Thanks and just about anytime. I live in Katy. I will be out of town until after the first. My email is ramrod340@hotmail.com

Terry,
The new wife(one year 12/23) thinks it is great. She plans to work another 5 years and has given me the list of furniture she wants built. LOL

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wecome to the club! I was lucky enough to retire 8 years ago. I was 48 and in fine health. Still am. It's been 8 years of hunting, fishing and playing with guns to my heart's content. I missed work all of 30 seconds. Naw, just joshing! It wasn't near that long.

One word of advice. Early on it didn't dawn on me that every minute of the day belonged to me, that in fact, all day and all week and all of the year belonged to me free and clear. It took a year or two until I realized that I can hunt antelope in Wyoming, Elk and Deer in Colorado, Mulies in Montana, and as many whitetails as I can get tags for here in North Dakota. (Three this year, all tags filled.) The only limit is conflicting dates for seasons. Colorado and North Dakota line up almost to perfection giving me just under a month of big game hunting, with a day long break in between for the drive from Colorado to North Dakota. Third season closes in Colorado on opening day up here so I miss the opener. However, having weekdays free, I can hunt Monday through Friday and leave the weekend to the corwds, not that it's terribly crowded. I keep notes on my hunting and this year counted 5 vehicles out hunting the first week I was out here in ND. I keep the notes to use to write hunting stories for outdoor magazines, another thing I have time for. I've sold some to regional magazines and had the pleasure of seeing them in print. My main effort goes into novels. Finished one last year and had an agent agree to represent me.

I write all the above, not to point at me or to boast about my accomplishments, but to point out the possibilities a man has when time belongs to him and nobody else. I write this because it takes time to realize that while the work ethic is a fine and wonderful thing, there comes a time when a man has to say, screw the work ethic; hand me my fishing pole.

Have fun, and use your imagination. There are all sorts of possibilities.

Come to think of it, this may make a good story to write and polish and send off.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I know it won't be as long as 30 minutes. LOL Working on the first major trip to New Zealand now. I'm impressed not sure I can spell novel.

I've been toying with documenting all the research and load development I did on the family of cases I developed and then submitting them. I had talked to John Wooters about them several years ago and he suggested it but, never had time. Maybe now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ramrod,

Congratulations ... and condolences .... as someone said earlier.

I had almost 25 years with a large chemical company and was sent home early as a result of that company having been acquired by Dow. Has been 18 months now.

I live on 80 acres. but had never had much time to hunt as a result of a busy working life. Knowing the end was neigh I took Thanksgiving off three years ago ... and put three deer in the freezer. Last year 5 and this year 5 so far. In the last two years I've taken two with a bow, one with a rifle, one with pistol and one with ML each year. Still have a couple of spaces on the ticket this year ... so am hunting a little more.

Have really enjoyed the time in the field. Even if I do work some in the future, I'll sure try to keep the fall of the year free.

Enjoy it, take care of yourself, and keep the wife happy. Makes for a good life if you can afford it.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, 30 years with the same company is all to sadly fast becoming a thing of the past.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. Yes it is very sad that long term employees are getting to be a thing of the past. I was lucky investing over the years had a great job, have plenty put away and got to leave on my terms when I wanted at the ripe old age of 52 in great health. I have a new younger beautiful wife that loves to hunt, shoot and fish. Oh and ride on the back of my Harley. It just doesn't get much better than this.

Have a fantastic holiday season best wishes to you and yours.