Find
Notify
Tools

M48 Yugo Conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted
I was thinking of sporterizing a mil surp M48 Yugo mauser and rebarreling to 30-06, but heard that it was an odd intermediate action length. Is this true? Will there be a problem doing it?
Andy

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mag box may be a little short. Lengthening requires dollars, and in my opinion an M-48 Yugo action doesn't merit that kind of investment. Comparatively, they are pretty rough. Any of the Czech actions would be FAR better made and much smoother. I'd start with something better.

And yes, it is an intermediate length -- that is not as much of a problem as it used to be, there are now many stocks available for this type of action.

FWIW.
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one place a WSM might actually be of value.
I wouldn't run buy a Yugo to do this, but if I was sporterizing one, I'd definitely consider using the WSM case. In fact, I might even use the military barrel....

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
As i recall, the magazine length on an M48 is about 3.25", while the max length of an '06 is 3.34". Many usefull cartridges from the .376 Styer on down will fit, including the .350 Rem Mag, .308 Win, 7x57 Mauser, 7mm-08, .257 Roberts -- and as mentioned above the short magnums. Personally, since the 8mm Mauser will do just about everything the '06 will, and there is a lot of cheap 8mm ammo on the market, I wouldn't change it

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ550,
I definitely agree with South40 in that the 8mm Mauser cartridge will do just about anything the '06 will do. If you are a reloader you have just about everything covered in bullet weights.
If you do decide to rebarrel/rechamber I would certainly stay with the 57mm case,ie-6mm Remington,257 Roberts, 7mmMauser and so on. Perhaps one of the Ackley improved versions of the above cartridges. As I am not personally fond of any of the magnum cartridges I can't provide any information as to their possible(doubtful) benefits. Since its your firearm you get to make the choices......Just MHO.

Ol' John

[ 11-04-2003, 20:06: Message edited by: HondoJohn6508 ]

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
You might also consider something based on the 284 Win case.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built one in 30/06, wouldn't do it again. 150 or 165 round noses seated deep are about the only loading that you can get in stock magazine. Go with a 308 or like mentioned earlier or one of the "x57" rounds or a derivitive thereof.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote