Find
Notify
Tools

Stock work tang area fix
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I just got my new left handed Zastava in 458 and the stock needs some work. The finish is rough and the crossbolt is deeply inletted. The checkering is pretty bad and it is cut poorly around the tang area along with having a chip out of it. The wood around the tang needs to be brought down a good bit and the back of the tang area needs to be contoured better.

Can you guys take a look at this and tell me what (and who) you would recommend? (I'm totally inept at woodworking)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many here that have the skills. Since you just got it....shoot it and find out what it needs in ammo work up. AFTER hunting season then approach a craftsman and get it done. Since hunting season is upon us....getting it done quickly may pose a problem for the better craftsmen/women on board at this time. Yes, I do this kind of work too.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT shoot it until you are sure the tang does not contact the wood. Crossbolting is good IF it contacts the recoil lug. Brownell's bedding spotting compound will answer both questions.
The tang are can be repaired and a small triangle of checkering added there to hide any repair.
The wood looks rather nice. I'd rub out a portion with 220/320/400 wet paper and apply some of the new Min Wax wipe on poly gloss to see what you really have.

Ruger No. 1 refinished with Pilkton red stain (expensive from Brownell's but worth it) and the Min Wax Gloss poly. (pardon the hairs, by Golden sheds everywhere)

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
frank,
have you taken the barreled action out of the stock. i got one of the left handed ones in 375 H&H. my stock looks to have been sanded to 120 grit and had mud brown stain and oil slathered on and they called it good.
the inletting/beddingis horrible, almost afraid to shoot it as is. the wood is soft. the cross bolt is deep i do not believe the recoil lug contacts it totally. the chip is out of the rear tang like yours but the tang presses up to the wood there also, so if the action moves under recoil i'm sure the stock will crack. going to put it up until i have time to refit the metal to the wood and glass ged it all or make a new stock, haven't decided. got a bunch of projects now.
max

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,I have not taken the action out of the stock yet, I will specify to whomever I send it to, that they rebed it, relieve the tang, etc. I also want some weight added to the forend as the gun feels muzzle light to me.

I don't have to wait until after hunting season as I just had my knee replaced three weeks ago so hunting season is already over for this year.

Honestly, I do think that there is some wood underneath the mud that they slopped on it in Serbia.

I'm in no big hurry, I won't need this gun for a year at the earliest but I would like to have it done right.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
look up john valicek in canyon lake texas... i think he still works at kdf in sequin 1 day week, he does some of tip burn's work..theres a picture of some of his work in the classified section.. look for bwanarm's ruger #1..he's got a duplicator too..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote