THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

26mm Kollmorgen Scope in 1" Weaver rings?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 1955 Marlin 336 that I want to set up with a period scope and mounts.

I found a set of the old steel weaver bases and the old rings with the screws on one side only.

I tried a Weaver K2.5 but the setup deosn't allow that long scope forward enough to get sufficient eye relief.

I have a 26mm Kollmorgen 2.5 and have managed to get it mounted, it gives proper eye relief.

Obviously the rings will not close up as much as on a 1" scope but i have the screws in 5-6 threads. Forsee any problems?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could just buy 26mm rings.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
I have a 1955 Marlin 336 that I want to set up with a period scope and mounts.

I found a set of the old steel weaver bases and the old rings with the screws on one side only.

I tried a Weaver K2.5 but the setup deosn't allow that long scope forward enough to get sufficient eye relief.

I have a 26mm Kollmorgen 2.5 and have managed to get it mounted, it gives proper eye relief.

Obviously the rings will not close up as much as on a 1" scope but i have the screws in 5-6 threads. Forsee any problems?

If you tightened them as much as you could by hand with a fitting screwdriver, and they did not strip, they should hold.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The old Weavers are about the only ring you can do this with, it should be fine.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it's only a 30-30.

Did Weaver even make 26mm rings back then?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Almost all scope rings that have a 2/3 - 1/3 split will work on both 1" and 26 mm tubes. Rings split in halves (most American makers)won't work. If you look at EAW and other European makers that have unevenly split rings, the part number for 1" and 26 mm are usually same. That's why the Weavers work.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If my memory isn't playing tricks on me, there is slightly less than 1 m/m difference between 1" and 26 m/m diameters. As such, it should not be very difficult to lap many makes of 1" rings to 26 m/m capacity.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
1.00" versus 1.02362" if the internet isn't lying.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote