New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hicks Accurizer-do they work?
 Login/Join

<dr280>
posted
I am thinking about getting one for my Ruger #1 and was wondering if anyone has experience with one. Good or bad. I can buy one for $60 from Brownell and can install it myself- but DOES IT WORK?????

<Phil R>
posted
dr280,
I have one on a #1 .300 Weatherby, installed by the man who makes them when he was the gunsmith at Answer Products. It works great!
I would do it again.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one after Phil replied to my post a year or so ago. Mine was installed by a man that doesn't nearly deserve the title of Gunsmith. My rifle...or the accurizer........or the gunsmith ...or all of the above sucked = no more Ruger No.1

Forend was free-floated and I tried all turns on the accurizer. I got some groups that were 1/2". The next three would be 2"+. Rifle was a 6mm Rem if it matters. Also, not Phil's fault it didn't work either. If his works for him great. If I remember correctly he(Phil) has a pile of No.1's. Now you're at a 50/50 chance.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
Jesse,
Sorry it didn't work out! I just have a little "pile" of #1's.....a .300 Weatherby and a .45/70.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

<George Stringer>
posted
Jesse, I'd have to say there was something wrong with the installation or something else, bad crown, sloppy bbl fit, etc causing the inaccuracy. The accurizers I've installed for my customers have worked great. George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are they much better or different from the set screw through the forearm hanger as advocated by Frank DeHaas? - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
Jesse, I hope it was just your rifle. I ditched an M77 after I found out it wouldn't shoot consistently. I have gotten 4 good groups under 1 inch in the month I've had my new No.1. But most of my shooting has been trying to find a good load. After much experimenting- I have found one that shot the groups stated above. I was thinking the accurizer would close them up- and would be worth the money to have them 1/4 inch smaller!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hicks on a #1 280 and it works great before I put it on it would string groups upward about 2 inches at 100 yards.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To get further in depth. My Ruger No.1 strung bullets both ways. Barnes were vertical, but the +/- left to right was only about 1/4". Partitons were horizontal with the same variance up and down. I just could not figure out the gun. I really don't like Rugers, that's just my opnion. I've had three rifles and was not impressed by the accuracy of any of them. Also having fits with a .45 LC Blackhawk now. The No.1 did feel and handle great though.......nice looking gun.

I'd go ahead and spend the money for $60. If I did it over again, I'd glassbed the accurizer into the forend. I read every article on Ruger tweaking and they all had the same ideas about the forend. I remeber 7 pounds of pressure on the forend was to be the "sweat spot". How this is measured while turning a screw I don't know. Good Luck.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
It sounds like a guess mode- "I guess its 7 pounds"!
I do plan to order one- hopefully it works-
and will post once I try it.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Another opinion. I have "accurized" 3 #1's. Maybe my experiance is shallow but I feel that just free floating the barrel first is the way to start if it has not already been done.

Remember that "the best group is a single shot" Now if the purpose of the rifle is benchrest groups then of course try the Hick's product. In any case it's not expensive and it will help with barrel vibrations. But such pressure on the barrel may mean that the #1 does not stay sighted in as well as with a free floated barrel.

If you have not tried this do this now before you install the device. Get a plastic faucet washer and drill out the hole in it to fit the forend screw. Now whittle down the washer to make it fit between the forend and the hangar so it separates the forend just enough to leave a small, unobtrusive, clearance at the end of the stock.

My #1's are my most reliable rifles. Year after year as I go to the range to check the sights before opening day they are the ones that while they still may have tape over the muzzles from the year before they will hit right on. Every time. But they are all free floated by the above method.

If the marksman sling is used the free floated bbl is best also.

As I said. Do the washer now. If it does not work then order the device. I bet it works or the problem is something else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen one of these accurizers, but you should be able to get 7 lbs tension by hanging a 7 lb weight from the forearm and tightening the screw until it touches the barrel. Tie the weight to the sling swivel stud if there's one on the forearm. - John

[This message has been edited by Beelzebubba (edited 03-28-2002).]

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
Don,
Have ordered the Accurizer tonight. Tried the washer- but must not be getting it right. Still getting one flyer out of 5. Average group still about .90 with 5 shots. Was shooting today at 300 and 400 yard targets- (an old 20# propane tank- and 2 liter pop bottles- plus my mackenzie deer target). The damn wind was nasty- but managed to have a decent day shooting.

<Don Martin29>
posted
dr280,

My standards are not as high as yours. If I get 3 shot's into 1" at 100 yards that's more than good enough. I am not sure what caliber or #1 you have. If it were a varmint rifle I would expect a little better than 0.9" but I would shoot it off of sand bags. I hand hold my game rifles to simulate real field postions and to reduce the kick. I don't have a game rifle under .30 and most of them recoil pretty hard.

"The best group is a single shot"