THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    glass bedding an action with free floating barrel

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

glass bedding an action with free floating barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First let me say that I have been glass bedding rifles since approximately 1972, many Reningtons, Rugers, Garands, # 1,s, etc. and all have shot outstanding.... offhand or from a shooting rest. All the bolt guns were bedded for approximately 2 inches in front of the recoil lug plus the action area.
Here is my problem: In all those years, I never tried shooting from a bipod! I find that my M700 shoots almost a foot high, shooting from a bipod. Could this be caused by the bedding in front of the recoil lug? I have noticed that the rifle shoot tighter groups at a specific point of rest on the forearm.

Posts: 28 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like unwanted interaction of some sort between the barrel and the forearm.

What is the stock made of? How much free-float clearance? Maybe a different shooter 'bag technique' with the bipod? Where is the bipod attached?

Suggested initial trials: different shooter, different bipod position (e.g.sitting vs prone), different 'bag technique'
Good luck and regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot all most all my rifles off the bipod. I make sure there is plenty of clearance between the barrel and fore end.

On a couple of cheaper composite stocks I had to stiffen them with bedding also add some stiff wire to a couple of the real flexable ones.

After I bed them I mount the pod on them get into a good shooting prosition with them then have some one check the forend clearance. making sure it doesn't touch.

In doing this I haven't notice any change in impact between the rifles with or with out the bipod attached.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock is a factory Sendero systhetic stock. I've rebarreled with a #6 contour Sihlen barrel resulting in enlarging the barrel channel for barrel fit. The forend does not touch at any point until 2 inches in front of the recoil lug.
Any thoughts on bedding infront of the recoil lug?

Posts: 28 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer not to on most bolt actions. Only in rare circumstances do I like to bed ahead of the lug. Sako rifles are one. This is just my preference and doesn't mean it is right or wrong. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There may be a problem caused by the bipod. If you tighten the atach screw on the bipod too much, it can acutally bend the forearm so that it will bear against the barrel causing you to lose your float.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that my Rem 700 seem to impact higher when fired with a hard rest under the fore arm and not my hand or a bag. I am sure this is a function of the recoil cycle and not the stock is somehow bending and touching the barrel. It's a matter of how the rifle is moving while the bullet is still in the barrel. It only takes a few thousandths difference in muzzle position or angle to move the bullet impact significantly down range. Same reason some rifles shoot better with a hard hold and others don't.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
If you tighten the atach screw on the bipod too much, it can acutally bend the forearm so that it will bear against the barrel causing you to lose your float.

Say what?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
I've found that my Rem 700 seem to impact higher when fired with a hard rest under the fore arm and not my hand or a bag.

My experience exactly. My rifles always shoot higher off a hard rest than a soft one, and a bipod is definitely a hard rest.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If you want total freedom from any possible effects caused by interference between the barrel and the forearm then you need to isolate one from the other. And you do that by either removing the forearm, which is not very practical, or, eliminating ALL contact with the barrel. That means everything ahead of the lug.

As long as there is any contact between the barrel and forearm, and that includes the 2" of epoxy ahead of the lug, your groups will likely change as you change positions of the rest along the length of the forearm. To eliminate the chance of this occurring, set it free. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the many suggestions offered. In my own mind I've had a feeling the problem lies with the bedding ahead of the recoil lug, so I will remove that and head to the range. I'll post the results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bed all my rifles for the frist 2,5 to 3 inchs ahead of the chamber. I would check and see if the sctock is bending or warping when you put pressure on it when shooting off the bipod.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Curt in Atl
posted Hide Post
I may be way behind the times but there is just nothing quite like wood.

Nothing else really looks, feels, or breathes like a beautiful piece of well crafted wood.

Malm, Is this better?

I was going to say more but I just couldn't figure out how to use composite stock along with caress or fondle in the same sentence.

Posts: 37 | Location: Douglasville, Georgia | Registered: 10 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curt in Atl:
I may be way behind the times but there is just nothing quite like wood.

Nothing else really looks, feels, or performs like a beautiful piece of well crafted wood.

You had me up to the "performs" part. They do look and feel great, and provide more warmth than a composite, particularly if you get lost and need a dry piece of wood to build a fire, but, as beautiful as they are, they can never out perform a good composite. Just keeping it real. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
If you tighten the atach screw on the bipod too much, it can acutally bend the forearm so that it will bear against the barrel causing you to lose your float.

Say what?

AYYUUUP! Try it on a composite, I have seen it doen. Don't seem like it but it was!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

Say what?

AYYUUUP! Try it on a composite, I have seen it doen. Don't seem like it but it was!
Yep, me too.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Considering the attaching point is centered in the mounting plate, explain how tightening the screw that is supported on all sides, bends a forearm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just try it next time you have one in the shop?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437