Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 70 3-position safety hard to move
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know how I can get this darn 3-position switch on a Win70 to move? For some reason it is VERY hard to move fromt he fire position to any other. Thanks guys.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
This is not an uncommon problem. The safety lever is a cam (sort of) that rotates against an angled surface on the striker to cam it back off the sear. It can be done by someone relatively skilled with stones but, best done by someone (gunsmith) familiar with the the mechanics of the safety/striker mechanism of the M70.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That is definitely not the answer I was hoping for Smiler How much time and $$ does this sort of job usually add up to?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
Should take about 10 minutes (to fix correctly or really screw it up).

Someone familiar with the correct fitting of the safety can easily fix the issue. If you know how to disassemble the bolt I bet you'll be able to see the cam surface Masterrifleman spoke of .

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I guess I could jump on Youtube and learn how Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:
I guess I could jump on Youtube and learn how Smiler

While you're at it, see if Youtube has a supply of replacements in case you screw it up. Smiler

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good ole Westpac. One of my threads would not be complete without you buddy Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good ole Westpac. One of my threads would not be complete without you buddy Smiler

Just looking out for you!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is always welcome and appreciated Westpac Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This place sure beats watching TV for entertainment.. beer

Ditto..LMAO

jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know how I can get this darn 3-position switch on a Win70 to move? For some reason it is VERY hard to move fromt he fire position to any other. Thanks guys.

Once you get to the Eleventh Grade will they let you take metal shop. I hope you make it before you dick up all of your guns Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once you get to the Eleventh Grade will they let you take metal shop. I hope you make it before you dick up all of your guns

LMAO! rotflmo

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
the firing pin is cocked isnt it?that always makes them alot easier to put on safe. Big Grin

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is the effort caused by drag or simply the force to cam the safety infront of the cocking piece? If it is rough then a little polishing or simply working it several hundred times would help it.

The safety as it turns moves the cocking piece to the rear picking up the load from the sear. To do this you must compress the firing pin spring. I've seen M70 where you couldn't see or measure much movement. Others it was quite obvious. To alter this engagement is not a normal do it yourself since you must alter angles or lengths of parts. The safety will work easier as you decrease the spring compression. However if you go too far and just block the cocking piece and you happen to pull the trigger while on safe the sear might not be able to re-engage and would then fire as you take it off safety.

By the way jb signs all his posts that way. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

By the way jb signs all his posts that way. Wink

I have that for the political forum Big Grin

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
tsturm,
All my guns are doing just fine thanks Smiler All this is a learning experience and I guarantee you it is cheaper than my college degree!!

Ramrod,
I took the bolt apart via online instructions and figured out that it is the "fire" pocket on the safety that is roughed up for some reason. I couldn't figure out how to take the safety out to polish it up a little. Back to a gunsmith Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
tsturm,
All my guns are doing just fine thanks Smiler All this is a learning experience and I guarantee you it is cheaper than my college degree!!

Ramrod,
I took the bolt apart via online instructions and figured out that it is the "fire" pocket on the safety that is roughed up for some reason. I couldn't figure out how to take the safety out to polish it up a little. Back to a gunsmith Smiler

"Fire pocket" huh? One little bit of advice if I may, avoid using such technical terms such as "fire pocket" at first so as not to intimidate the gunsmith. You'll want to speak to him in plain English until he gets to know you. Good luck! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mess with it, replace it. Call Ed Lapour Gunsithing. He makes replacements that are perfect. 360-479-4966 Bremerton, WA He has a website, too.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Westpac,
You just grow on people Smiler

Brice,
How much do you think those things are? Also, how on earth do I get it out to replace it?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much do you think those things are? Also, how on earth do I get it out to replace it?

I believe he is talking about replacing the entire shroud.
http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,
Could I simply buy one of those and transfer the firing pin and spring to the new one?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could, but there is no guarantee that it will be timed correctly either.

Have you removed the firing pin and spring?

If you have removed the fp and spring and the lever is still not working smoothly there may be a burr or some other interference causing the problem. If the lever works smoothly without the fp and spring in place, then you need to take it to a gunsmith with the proper tools and fixtures to fix it correctly.

Once you have the fp and spring removed, the safety lever takes about 4 seconds to remove with the proper size punch. If you do that it should be obvious if there is a burr causing the problem or if you need surgery on the unit.

posted Hide Post
CAS,
Thanks for the info. I am gathering from everyone that I should leave this one to the pros. I just don't think that old win70 is worth too much as it is. It definitely isnt worth spending too much money fixing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it to me or Westpac and you can relax and know it will be done correctly.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim. The gun isnt worth much so I was wondering how much you think it would run to fix it. Also, where are you located? Not trying to be cheap, just trying to save up for my first "build."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
"Fire pocket" huh? One little bit of advice if I may, avoid using such technical terms such as "fire pocket" at first so as not to intimidate the gunsmith.

Now that was funny! animal

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote